PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks, Big Island or Kauai first?

Glitter Brunello
10-12-2006, 11:55 AM
So in which order would you do the two islands if you had a choice? We will be traveling with another couple, staying at FFKHR for one week and either Waiohai or the Beachboy the other week. At the moment I think I have some flexibility since I am buying at FFKHR and doing a 'tour' at one of the others. We stayed at FFKHR this past summer, so I know what to expect there. I'm guessing you will tell me I can't go wrong either way, but figured I'd ask.

On another note, I know Waiohai is on Poipu beach, very nice, but am wondering if there is more available in terms of restaurants/nightlife in Kapa'a or Poipu...

Thanks,
G

lawren2
10-12-2006, 12:07 PM
I can't offer an opinion on Big Island as we haven't gotten there yet but Kauai is very laid back and relaxing.

I would make my decision on flights home. Ease of connection and time etal.

Luanne
10-12-2006, 12:08 PM
You're right, I'd say you can't go wrong either way. We'll be on the Big Island from August 2 - August 18 if that helps you make up your mind one way or the other. :biggrin:

T. R. Oglodyte
10-12-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't think the order makes any difference at all.

Re Po`ipu vs Kapa`a: that's a matter of individual preferences. We stay in Po`ipu almost every year and find that the amenities there are quite adequate for our purposes. But then, we aren't big on restaurants and nightlife.

Faust
10-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Since you have already been to the Big Island I would go to Kauai first. That way you can run around and try to see all the things that you want to see on Kauai which may take a lot of energy. Then when you arrive on the Big Island you can take your time and relax, seeing the things you had missed on your last visit and also giving you a chance to go to places you’d like to see again without being in a hurry. This will make your vacation less stressful and seem a lot longer.

taffy19
10-12-2006, 04:23 PM
I like Ken's idea but on the other hand, you have a couple with you that may want to see as much as possible on the big Island. For us, it makes absolutely no difference how we do it. It depends how we can book the flights.

Avery, we booked a spur of the moment visit to Maui because we cannot wait until next April. :biggrin: We may still go next April too if we find another good flight, I hope.

Luanne
10-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Avery, we booked a spur of the moment visit to Maui because we cannot wait until next April. :biggrin: We may still go next April too if we find another good flight, I hope.

Emmy, when you book these spur of the moment trips, where do you end up staying?

taffy19
10-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Luanne, we are still looking for accommodations but my DH booked for a Monday to Monday so it will be hard to find a timeshare week. :o He never thought of that. We will book a hotel room just to be safe that we can cancel until November first because we have someone nice here looking for us too for a timeshare week for our dates or from Sunday to Sunday, if at all possible.

We found a cheaper flight just before the holidays (12/11/06 to 12/18/06) when most people do not want to travel so we feel we do not have to worry yet. I know there are promos too that we could do but my DH rather doesn't go to a timeshare presentation while I would love to go. :biggrin:

I am looking forward to this unexpected trip. :)

Luanne
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
We found a cheaper flight just before the holidays (12/11/06 to 12/18/06) when most people do not want to travel so we feel we do not have to worry yet.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you consider a cheap flight from the west coast? I'm assuming you fly out of LAX????

taffy19
10-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Luanne, it was $800 and something for both of us from LAX. My DH isn't here right now and I forgot. He said it was reasonable because flights had been so high lately. It is the garbage fees that makes it so expensive and he will only fly with a few airlines. I always ask him to look at all the specials that people write about but then he ends up booking direct and often, it is cheaper anyway, he says.

Luanne
10-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Luanne, it was $800 and something for both of us from LAX.

Thanks Emmy. That does sound like a good price. Every time I check fares for the time we want/need to fly it's about that much per person. :shock: That's why we've been so lucky to be able to use ff miles the last several years when we've gone. Good thing Steve is taking a couple of big business trips in the near future so he can start building us those miles again. :wink:

taffy19
10-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Oh! :( We have enough FF miles too for Hawaii most every year and for a flight to Europe for one person but we didn't want to use our FF miles right now as we need them for something else. When he says it is a good flight, I believe him and I am still pleased that we are going when I read all the posts about Hawaii.

Have you noticed too that once a person has been to Hawaii, they always go back. Look at Avery now. :) The islands have magic. I guess it is the same for the Caribbean too because people go back there too year after year. :)

bigfrank
10-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Look at what flights go where. I know you can get a flight right out of Kona. If you have been on one of the islands before then do that one first since you might be arriving late. Then leave that Island early so you can spend more time on the other Island. Just be sure you can flight out of that Island without having to connect on another island.

Luanne
10-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Have you noticed too that once a person has been to Hawaii, they always go back.

Steve grew up in the midwest and then lived on the east coast. When I first met him he'd never been to Hawaii. He said he also got a chuckle whenever anyone would say "The last time I was in Hawaii....". :smile: Well, now he's one of those obnxious people. :lol: We bought our timeshare on Maui when we were on our honeymoon and since then we've been back many times. I know it's much easier to get there when you're on the west coast. It's kind of like those on the east coast hopping over to Europe. :rolleyes:

Glitter Brunello
10-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Look at what flights go where. I know you can get a flight right out of Kona. If you have been on one of the islands before then do that one first since you might be arriving late. Then leave that Island early so you can spend more time on the other Island. Just be sure you can flight out of that Island without having to connect on another island.

There are ok flights both in and out of Kona and Lihue, and a direct flight in between the two. If we do Kona first it will be an exchange (already in hand), and we will be traveling on the heels of 11 hours in the car for camp visiting day. But we will get back on 8/6, and have time to recuperate before our 12yr old comes home from camp. Plus I'll have a nice deposit for SFX (my Kona week) and also be able to take a bump if offered on the flight home. If we do Kauai first, we will do Kona the next week as owners, and get to see Luanne, but we'll miss the last day since we have to be back to pick up our 12 yr old, and we will be kinda fried when he gets home...

Luanne
10-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Much as I'd like to see you the first alternative sounds better. :cry2:

bigfrank
10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
There are ok flights both in and out of Kona and Lihue, and a direct flight in between the two. If we do Kona first it will be an exchange (already in hand), and we will be traveling on the heels of 11 hours in the car for camp visiting day. But we will get back on 8/6, and have time to recuperate before our 12yr old comes home from camp. Plus I'll have a nice deposit for SFX (my Kona week) and also be able to take a bump if offered on the flight home. If we do Kauai first, we will do Kona the next week as owners, and get to see Luanne, but we'll miss the last day since we have to be back to pick up our 12 yr old, and we will be kinda fried when he gets home...

Take whatever makes you stay in Hawaii longer.

StressCadet
10-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Emmy,

Willl your DH fly American out of LAX? I preach this a lot and people must think I work for American-but I don't. If you use the fly/drive package on www.aavacations.com you can often save a lot of money. You have to rent a car in the package-but you need a car anyway. For instance-I put in the dates you mentioned of 12/11 to 12/18 and came up with 617 and change for tickets (2 adults) and with a midsize car-total was 776.00. You must choose the flights marked with a gold star and it pays to change your dates around-but I was looking at Kauai this month out of LAX-of course this is off season and off days-but I found airfare for 240.00 taxes included out of LAX. VERY TEMPTING. Just an FYI-when I mention this, often people have a hard time finding the correct way to enter it on the website-but I would be happy to help.

Avery,

You are cracking me up....already planning the next trip. Hawaii is like that. I think you will have more shopping and dining opportunites in Kapa'a -but I also get the impression you like a location that is a little less busy. Waiohai/Poipu fits that bill. Although-I would stay at either resort-no problem. Kapa'a,while the beachboy is kinda tucked away will be have heavy traffic entering and exiting the resort-but it is centrally located for sight seeing-it's all about what is important to you. I do agree with Frank-whatever provides you the most time in Hawaii is the way to go-you come a very long way and should make the most of it.

taffy19
10-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Emmy,

Willl your DH fly American out of LAX? I preach this a lot and people must think I work for American-but I don't. If you use the fly/drive package on www.aavacations.com (http://www.aavacations.com) you can often save a lot of money. You have to rent a car in the package-but you need a car anyway. For instance-I put in the dates you mentioned of 12/11 to 12/18 and came up with 617 and change for tickets (2 adults) and with a midsize car-total was 776.00. You must choose the flights marked with a gold star and it pays to change your dates around-but I was looking at Kauai this month out of LAX-of course this is off season and off days-but I found airfare for 240.00 taxes included out of LAX. VERY TEMPTING. Just an FYI-when I mention this, often people have a hard time finding the correct way to enter it on the website-but I would be happy to help.
StressCadet, thank you very much for mentioning this. I just told my DH and he said he will have a look tomorrow. :) He already booked car reservations too but they are easy to cancel with Alamo. If we have to pay a penalty, then it has no use but if we can keep the reservations in tact for next April, then I am all for it. :biggrin: I looked at an offer earlier today and it was cheaper too than what he booked it for (849.46) :( but he is the one who wants to do it but I am going to have a look right now myself. Thanks.

Glitter Brunello
10-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Avery,

You are cracking me up....already planning the next trip. Hawaii is like that. I think you will have more shopping and dining opportunites in Kapa'a -but I also get the impression you like a location that is a little less busy. Waiohai/Poipu fits that bill. Although-I would stay at either resort-no problem. Kapa'a,while the beachboy is kinda tucked away will be have heavy traffic entering and exiting the resort-but it is centrally located for sight seeing-it's all about what is important to you. I do agree with Frank-whatever provides you the most time in Hawaii is the way to go-you come a very long way and should make the most of it.

You are right about me not liking too much 'action' right where we're staying. But this will be the first time traveling with another couple, and they are not crowd phobic like me. It will also be good to have things to do at night instead of just being 'alone together' 7 nights straight.

So far, it looks like we will do BI first with our exchange, then on to Kapa'a. The other couple may not be able to join us the first day or two on BI, but they will be our guests so hopefully won't mind losing a day or two. I can't accommodate both our schedules perfectly, and since I'm doing all the work, well I win. Still tbd, though.

How are the beaches near Kapa'a?

StressCadet
10-13-2006, 01:35 PM
StressCadet, thank you very much for mentioning this. I just told my DH and he said he will have a look tomorrow. :) He already booked car reservations too but they are easy to cancel with Alamo. If we have to pay a penalty, then it has no use but if we can keep the reservations in tact for next April, then I am all for it. :biggrin: I looked at an offer earlier today and it was cheaper too than what he booked it for (849.46) :( but he is the one who wants to do it but I am going to have a look right now myself. Thanks.

You are quite welcome. When you go on the site-you are searching for US Fly/Drive-don't click on Hawaii. Go to the Search by Destination box on the right-US Fly/Drive is third from the bottom in the second set of choices-once you click there-go to the second "Go" box "car with optional air for Hawaii, Florida, and Las Vegas" choose your Hawaiian destination and go from there-Good Luck!!

StressCadet
10-13-2006, 01:51 PM
You are right about me not liking too much 'action' right where we're staying. But this will be the first time traveling with another couple, and they are not crowd phobic like me. It will also be good to have things to do at night instead of just being 'alone together' 7 nights straight.

So far, it looks like we will do BI first with our exchange, then on to Kapa'a. The other couple may not be able to join us the first day or two on BI, but they will be our guests so hopefully won't mind losing a day or two. I can't accommodate both our schedules perfectly, and since I'm doing all the work, well I win. Still tbd, though.

How are the beaches near Kapa'a?

The East shore is not always swimmable-pretty for walking, etc-but you are going to want to snorkel and swim elsewhere most likely. There is Lydgate State Park with a great picnic area and facilities and an enclosed type pond which is great for kids and beginner snorklers-but it will have lot's of kids-it's just designed that way. There are so many pretty beaches on the North Shore. My favorite was Anini-that's my avatar-my feet in the sand at Anini. We were there on a Sunday in the main pavillion area and we spent the morning with maybe 10 people. That's how "crowded" it was. Once we switched to Waiohai/Poipu-we pretty much stayed right there-it's a beautiful beach all by itself. We did do a day of just beach hopping on the Northshore-just to see where we would like to spend more time-that was fun-saw a lot that way and spent extending time at three different beaches...Anini, Haena and Hanalei Bay. I should figure out how to post my pics here......

Tracy

Luanne
10-13-2006, 01:59 PM
So far, it looks like we will do BI first with our exchange, then on to Kapa'a.

So, it looks like we'll miss each other "this" trip. Maybe on our "next" trips we'll sync up. :wink:

Glitter Brunello
10-13-2006, 02:04 PM
So, it looks like we'll miss each other "this" trip. Maybe on our "next" trips we'll sync up. :wink:

Well, I'm still working on it, Luanne, but that's the way it's leaning. Though it would be great if we could meet up and do something one day. I haven't dropped this on my friends yet, I'm going to do that this weekend, so some of this depends on their reaction...

Luanne
10-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Well, I'm still working on it, Luanne, but that's the way it's leaning. Though it would be great if we could meet up and do something one day. I haven't dropped this on my friends yet, I'm going to do that this weekend, so some of this depends on their reaction...

We arrive on the Big Island August 2 and we'll be at the Kileaua Lodge in Volcano the first two nights. Then on to Kona Coast for a week (4 - 11) then Paniolo Greens from the 11 - 18, unless I can get the Bay Club or Hilton for that week. It would be great if we could meet up if that works out. I can see Steve :rolleyes: already. :cool:

Glitter Brunello
10-13-2006, 02:26 PM
We arrive on the Big Island August 2 and we'll be at the Kileaua Lodge in Volcano the first two nights. Then on to Kona Coast for a week (4 - 11) then Paniolo Greens from the 11 - 18, unless I can get the Bay Club or Hilton for that week. It would be great if we could meet up if that works out. I can see Steve :rolleyes: already. :cool:

Ok, I will let you know once we decide, so you can spare Steve for the time being.

Luanne
10-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Ok, I will let you know once we decide, so you can spare Steve for the time being.

Being that I've already met you face to face he might not think this is too strange. But he was a little surprised when one of my cyber buddies that I hadn't met yet came from Boston to NYC (this was back in 2000) to meet us for dinner. I don't know if he thinks we'll be met by some ax murderers at some point or what. :woot:

Glitter Brunello
10-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Being that I've already met you face to face he might not think this is too strange. But he was a little surprised when one of my cyber buddies that I hadn't met yet came from Boston to NYC (this was back in 2000) to meet us for dinner. I don't know if he thinks we'll be met by some ax murderers at some point or what. :woot:

Ok now you know my secret. I'm just waiting for HI since I'd rather do 'life' there than here...

Luanne
10-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Ok now you know my secret. I'm just waiting for HI since I'd rather do 'life' there than here...

:rotflmao:

T. R. Oglodyte
10-13-2006, 03:27 PM

My wife was pretty suspicious the first time I suggested meeting a TUGger while we were on vacation. After a couple of get togethers, she now feels very comfortable - well, as comfortable as she ever gets meeting someone for the first time.

But she figures that timeshares, vacations, and families will all be common areas of interest, so she doesn't worry so much about what she will have in common with the other people.

taffy19
10-14-2006, 06:54 PM
You are quite welcome. When you go on the site-you are searching for US Fly/Drive-don't click on Hawaii. Go to the Search by Destination box on the right-US Fly/Drive is third from the bottom in the second set of choices-once you click there-go to the second "Go" box "car with optional air for Hawaii, Florida, and Las Vegas" choose your Hawaiian destination and go from there-Good Luck!!
My DH just now followed up with your recommendation and it is true that it would have been cheaper going that way but our penalty was $500 so we decided to keep our reservations with Alaska Airlines but we booked your recommendation with AA for next April when we have our two fixed weeks ready and waiting for us and saved quite a bit too. I was hoping to go anyway. :) Thank you so much for posting how to do this.

The only thing he wasn't able to do was reserve the seats like we always do with Alaska Airlines but he will try later. This is even a non-stop flight. Hawaii, here we come again. :biggrin:

Avery, have you decided yet what to do? As Frank says, I would also spend as much time there as possible, if I were you. It is a very long flight for you.

Glitter Brunello
10-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Avery, have you decided yet what to do? As Frank says, I would also spend as much time there as possible, if I were you. It is a very long flight for you.

Still debating. It's only a 1 day difference in practical terms, but I'm thinking of keeping our BI exchange for the first week. We will be fried getting there, but relaxed coming back. But I haven't told our friends, yet, and they were the ones pushing for the following week...

Luanne
10-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Still debating. It's only a 1 day difference in practical terms, but I'm thinking of keeping our BI exchange for the first week. We will be fried getting there, but relaxed coming back. But I haven't told our friends, yet, and they were the ones pushing for the following week...

So I shouldn't give up on you yet? :woot:

Glitter Brunello
10-14-2006, 07:36 PM
So I shouldn't give up on you yet? :woot:

Nope, not until I buy the air.... I need 9000 more miles for 1 free ticket... I was going to order my kitchen counters on the new miles credit card, but then they gave me $500 discount for cash... So it will have to wait until I finally get around to ordering some furniture.

Luanne
10-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Nope, not until I buy the air.... I need 9000 more miles for 1 free ticket... I was going to order my kitchen counters on the new miles credit card, but then they gave me $500 discount for cash... So it will have to wait until I finally get around to ordering some furniture.

You mean you haven't ordered that furniture yet! :nono: I hope you at least got the appliances taken care of. :p

Glitter Brunello
10-14-2006, 08:15 PM
You mean you haven't ordered that furniture yet! :nono: I hope you at least got the appliances taken care of. :p

OT, but appliance problem FINALLY resolved (not much to my liking, but had to do something) yesterday. NOW I'm on to furniture...

Glitter Brunello
10-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Our friends can't leave NY until 7/29, so they will meet us in Kauai and we will do BI first using the exchange I have in hand. Luanne, we will have to coordinate better another time, so Steve is safe for now :wink: . I think Denise from OY will be at FFKHR during our stay.

Now to decide whether to stay at the Beachboy in Kapa'a or the Princeville Hotel/Resort... leaning toward Beachboy for its central location... then will work on the 'must do on Kauai' list. :D

Thanks all for your input.

Luanne
10-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Our friends can't leave NY until 7/29, so they will meet us in Kauai and we will do BI first using the exchange I have in hand. Luanne, we will have to coordinate better another time, so Steve is safe for now :wink: . I think Denise from OY will be at FFKHR during our stay.

Now to decide whether to stay at the Beachboy in Kapa'a or the Princeville Hotel/Resort... leaning toward Beachboy for its central location... then will work on the 'must do on Kauai' list. :D

Thanks all for your input.

Yeah, I saw your posting on TUG. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Luanne
10-20-2006, 11:43 AM

Yeah, I saw your posting on TUG. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: I actually had Steve ready.

Glitter Brunello
10-20-2006, 11:53 AM
I actually had Steve ready.

NOW you tell me... :p

acesneights
11-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't see Hawaii in the US Fly/Drive destinations today.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back