PDA

View Full Version : Arrived Big Island, no problems

Glitter Brunello
08-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Well it was a long day, but the flights/airports Friday were smooth as silk. JFK has never been so civilized. Despite a line for security wrapped all the way around the inside perimeter, everyone was relaxed and cooperative. Our flights from NY, LAX and HNL were all on time. And yes, we managed with only carryons !!

We are at the Bay Club at Waikoloa, very nice, going to check out FFKHV later today. We spent the morning at Hapuna Beach, WOW, what a great beach!!!

More later and yes I am taking pics (but don't see the photo server...),

Aloha
Avery

Faust
08-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Avery
Good to hear that you made it to Hawaii with no problems. The rest of your trip should go just as easy.
Now kick back in a long char with a Mai Tai in one hand and watch the sun go down.:cool:
Youíre in Hawaii. To cool:
Aloha

susieq
08-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear of your safe arrival. Have a great vacation!! :)

Sue

shopgirl
08-12-2006, 10:49 PM
So you are in the sunshine and we are all in the dark. Well, that is how I usually am anyway. :)

Anyway, you must have left all the shampoo. conditioner and all other liquids at home? I know that you can buy cheap stuff at the grocery store but I would feel weird, not at least checking those items.

ArtsieAng
08-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi Avery.....I'm really glad to hear that you got all the way to Hawaii with no problems. I was thinking about you, and hoping things would go smoothly.

I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed that you are able to manage a 3 week trip with just carry-on luggage. I find that difficult to accomplish when I do a weekend getaway......You'll have to give me your secrets....;)

You're taking pics....that's great. I can't wait to see them. Stay safe, have fun, and keep us posted.

Aloha........:biggrin:

taffy19
08-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Avery, I am glad to hear that you had a good trip and you found a nice beach already. :)

You are in for a treat because I read and heard today that the Kilauea volcano is active again and they showed some pictures on Yahoo as well as on this web page. The updates here are current (http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/) and you can enlarge these pictures too.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/archive/2006/Aug/20060805_0323-AD_small.jpg

Flying over the area may be a wonderful trip but they will stay in a safe distance.

Enjoy your trip!

zdxlc9p6
08-13-2006, 12:59 AM
I didn't realize the flow had stopped. When did that happen, and begin again?

katiemack
08-13-2006, 01:12 AM
Aloha! Avery! Happy to hear that you are all there safely and had a smooth trip....relax, enjoy and bring back many wonderful memories! That is easy to carry on any plane! Mahalo for taking the time to let us know how you are doing!:wavey:

taffy19
08-13-2006, 01:38 AM
I didn't realize the flow had stopped. When did that happen, and begin again?
It never stopped flowing but started flowing into the Pacific Ocean from a new entry point and they showed some nice pictures today. I read and saw the pictures on the Yahoo web page but you can read it here too:

Kilauea lava flowing into new spot (http://rds.yahoo.com/S=53720272/K=Kilauea/v=2/SID=w/l=NSR/R=3/;_ylt=A9iIgNRSut5EYKQAuRbQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBjcXBoZj EwBHBvcwMzBHNlYwNzcg--/SIG=128dpc3uf/EXP=1155533778/*-http%3A//starbulletin.com/2006/08/12/news/story05.html) http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sch/bn/nw2.gif (http://rds.yahoo.com/S=53720272/K=Kilauea/v=2/SID=w/l=NSRW/R=3/NSRW=1/;_ylt=A9iIgNRSut5EYKQAuhbQtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTBjcXBoZj EwBHBvcwMzBHNlYwNzcg--/SIG=128dpc3uf/EXP=1155533778/*-http%3A//starbulletin.com/2006/08/12/news/story05.html)
Honolulu Star-Bulletin - Aug 12 4:31 AM
Lava has started flowing from Kilauea Volcano into the Pacific Ocean from a new entry point, building more Big Island land. Video taken Thursday shows molten liquid slithering down cliffs and oozing into the sea, unleashing clouds of steam as the lava hits the ocean. Save to My Web (http://myweb.search.yahoo.com/myresults/bookmarklet?t=%3Cb%3EKilauea%3C%2Fb%3E+lava+flowin g+into+new+spot&u=http%3A%2F%2Fstarbulletin.com%2F2006%2F08%2F12%2 Fnews%2Fstory05.html)

shaggy
08-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Wish I was there!! Bring back lots of memories to share!! I am so impressed , 3 weeks with a carryon? Heck, I took 2 suitcases and 1 carryon to the cruise in Alaska. Hugs, Shaggy

Faust
08-13-2006, 11:44 AM
And yes, we managed with only carryons !!
Aloha

Avery
3 weeks with a carryon.
I think you over pack. :rotflmao:
Aloha

gophish
08-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Avery,
Glad to hear that your trip went smooth.
I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Hawaiian Islands are the best. Wonderful place to be. Have a great time.

lawren2
08-13-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm glad you all made it OK Avery.

I worried about you all day long with the new restrictions. Thanks for letting us know you made it with your carry-ons and plane changes.

Take lots of pictures and see as many sunsets as you possibly can. After 3 weeks it will probably take all your DH's strength to get you to come home! < I can see it now....WAIT HON look at the last minute deals/exchanges. Let's stay for another week.> :mrgreen:

I am green with envy.

If we end up going back to Hawaii in 2008 it will be ALL YOUR FAULT! :p

taffy19
08-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Avery is too busy sight-seeing. I am dying to hear your stories, if you have time and love to see these photos too. :biggrin:

Glitter Brunello
08-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Ok, first chance I've had to check in, whew!! Of course my camera is up at the room with the pics (only a few so far) in it, so you'll have to wait :p

We moved from the Bay Club to FFKHV. DH said it was like moving from Orlando to Hawaii. I'd have to agree. The beaches on the Kohala Coast are great, but the resort really felt like a nice place in Florida. FFKHV really has a great old Hawaiian feel, and we are glad to have the second bedroom and the beautiful lanai (our lanai at Bay Club was on ground floor facing parking lot, ick). We are in the Phase I section, overlooking the pool (something I asked to avoid), but it is fine and so far quiet at night. We are in an upstairs unit, so I can't comment on any downstairs issues, but we have no bugs and the lizards are small and few.

We rented kayaks today and crossed the Bay I Can't Pronounce or Spell (starts with K) to Captain Cook Monument. Best snorkeling ever. Unfortunately, my oldest son cut his ankle on a rock (the disadvantage of kayaking is you need to park on the lava and walk in through some pretty hairy/slippery terrain), so we spent the evening in the lovely Kona Community Hospital. I'm glad we didn't have a serious problem there, but we were able to avoid stitches thanks to Dermabond. He can't snorkel for the rest of the week, but tomorrow we are headed to VNP so he will probably only have to miss one more snorkel trip (Place of Refuge). Can't wait to see the new flow into the Pacific!!

I'll be out of touch for the next few days, no wifi at the B&B at VNP (at least I don't think so... and we'll prob leave laptop here rather than worry about it).

Shopgirl, I did leave ALL my liquid/gel/etc items at home. We rebought most here, but it's not the same as having the brands you're used to. The most annoying thing is that we can't fly with them Inter-Island either, so will have to rebuy them again; but it's aalll good.... :)

Aloha,
Avery

ArtsieAng
08-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Avery,

Sounds like you are having a great time.....other than the incident with your son. I hope it is not the same son who got hurt on your last trip......:cry2:

We are looking forward to hearing about your adventures....check back in with us, when you get a chance. And please.......don't forget to bring your camera with you on your travels........:biggrin:

vinolover
08-14-2006, 09:28 AM
We moved from the Bay Club to FFKHV. DH said it was like moving from Orlando to Hawaii. I'd have to agree. The beaches on the Kohala Coast are great, but the resort really felt like a nice place in Florida. FFKHV really has a great old Hawaiian feel, and we are glad to have the second bedroom and the beautiful lanai (our lanai at Bay Club was on ground floor facing parking lot, ick). We are in the Phase I section, overlooking the pool (something I asked to avoid), but it is fine and so far quiet at night. We are in an upstairs unit, so I can't comment on any downstairs issues, but we have no bugs and the lizards are small and few.
Aloha,
Avery

What unit number did you get at KHV? We are hoping for this resort next month. I turned down a 1BR at the Bay Club for the exact reason you mentioned. It seemed that all the 1BR units had a parking lot view.

Hope you enjoy your trip to the volcano! Let us know all about the new flow.

Glitter Brunello
08-14-2006, 03:10 PM
We are in 6A. I saw you just missed the week you want, hopefully someone has it on hold and will release it.

I promise to post pics when we get back from Volcano, we are leaving to drive over in a little while.

It was not the same son who got hurt in Vermont. They seem to have a 'taking turns' system worked out. Except for our last trip to Killington, when they both got hurt. :banghead:

taffy19
08-14-2006, 05:37 PM
We rented kayaks today and crossed the Bay I Can't Pronounce or Spell (starts with K) to Captain Cook Monument. Best snorkeling ever. Unfortunately, my oldest son cut his ankle on a rock (the disadvantage of kayaking is you need to park on the lava and walk in through some pretty hairy/slippery terrain), so we spent the evening in the lovely Kona Community Hospital. I'm glad we didn't have a serious problem there, but we were able to avoid stitches thanks to Dermabond. He can't snorkel for the rest of the week, but tomorrow we are headed to VNP so he will probably only have to miss one more snorkel trip (Place of Refuge). Can't wait to see the new flow into the Pacific!!
Aloha,
Avery
It sounds like you are having fun. :) We took a tour boat (http://www.hawaiiactivities.com/index.cfm?activity=EF741DA6-014A-4A7C-A37E2BF524E4F543) to Captain Cook's monument and it was easy jumping off the boat. It's a great snorkeling spot but you will see many turtles at the Place of Refuge. They were between the rocks and you could see them from the shore. We were swimming between many porpoises or dolphins which was very nice.

To see the lava glow the best, you need to stay until it is dark. This is the reason why we no longer stay in Kona but stay at or very close to the park. Don't forget to drive to the northern part of the island as it is almost like England. Very pastoral.

Star gazing is also a very nice trip as you may see snow in Hawaii and many stars. We have done it twice. It needs to be dark (no moon) to be best. We found this out from experience.

You can't do it all in one week's visit but you may return. ;)

Glitter Brunello
08-15-2006, 04:59 AM
It sounds like you are having fun. :) We took a tour boat (http://www.hawaiiactivities.com/index.cfm?activity=EF741DA6-014A-4A7C-A37E2BF524E4F543) to Captain Cook's monument and it was easy jumping off the boat. It's a great snorkeling spot but you will see many turtles at the Place of Refuge. They were between the rocks and you could see them from the shore. We were swimming between many porpoises or dolphins which was very nice.

To see the lava glow the best, you need to stay until it is dark. This is the reason why we no longer stay in Kona but stay at or very close to the park. Don't forget to drive to the northern part of the island as it is almost like England. Very pastoral.

Star gazing is also a very nice trip as you may see snow in Hawaii and many stars. We have done it twice. It needs to be dark (no moon) to be best. We found this out from experience.

You can't do it all in one week's visit but you may return. ;)

the Fair Winds (or Four winds) was all booked up for the week. I'm not sorry as the kayak was really an adventure, but anyone who is interested in this boat should book ahead from the mainland.

We planned on staying at the Volcano after dark, but it started raining and got very cloudy. We walked back to the car 1.5 miles in the rain, got SOAKED, but it was fun. the walk over was amazing on the newer lava formations and that lava sea wall did seem like I imagine Cornwall to be in spots. It seemed like a 50 fft drop to the ocean, but we got soaked by the waves pounding the wall even though we stood at the top. We did get to see a big plume before the clouds turned on usalso put our 4 wd to good use on the way here, took a 6 mile road down to a deserted black sand beach, tidal pool, etc.... I thought it'd be a 20 minute diversion, but it took 40 minutes to drive each way, and we spend almost an hour down there.

whew, we are recovering at Kaileau Lodge, must head for our cottage now...

Aloha
Avery

gophish
08-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Avery,
Nice adventure. You sound like you are making very good use of your time there. Continue to have a great time.

taffy19
08-15-2006, 04:35 PM
the Fair Winds (or Four winds) was all booked up for the week. I'm not sorry as the kayak was really an adventure, but anyone who is interested in this boat should book ahead from the mainland.

We planned on staying at the Volcano after dark, but it started raining and got very cloudy. We walked back to the car 1.5 miles in the rain, got SOAKED, but it was fun. the walk over was amazing on the newer lava formations and that lava sea wall did seem like I imagine Cornwall to be in spots. It seemed like a 50 fft drop to the ocean, but we got soaked by the waves pounding the wall even though we stood at the top. We did get to see a big plume before the clouds turned on usalso put our 4 wd to good use on the way here, took a 6 mile road down to a deserted black sand beach, tidal pool, etc.... I thought it'd be a 20 minute diversion, but it took 40 minutes to drive each way, and we spend almost an hour down there.

whew, we are recovering at Kaileau Lodge, must head for our cottage now...

Aloha
Avery
How wonderful that you saw so much at the park and do you mean that you are staying at the Kilauea Lodge (http://www.kilauealodge.com/)? Isn't that lodge wonderful and very good food when we were there. They put us in the honeymoon suite with the double shower heads and it had a fireplace too but we preferred the other room where the sun came in. It was recommended by a TUGger so we tried it. Reservations have to be made a long time in advance for anyone who wants to try it too.

Luanne
08-15-2006, 05:04 PM
do you mean that you are staying at the Kilauea Lodge (http://www.kilauealodge.com/)? ....Reservations have to be made a long time in advance for anyone who wants to try it too.

I just made our reservations (Tutu's Place - the 2-bedroom offsite) for next summer. When I sent the email request I got a response saying they were already booked. When I called to check, sure enough they were already booked for this summer, but fine for next summer. :woot: Wonder how far ahead I should call for dinner reservations. :rolleyes:

taffy19
08-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Luanne, you were the lady who recommended this resort and I am glad we took your word for it. Also, you were right that the meals are much better here too than at the Volcano House. Nice to see you here. :grin:

Glitter Brunello
08-16-2006, 04:16 AM
How wonderful that you saw so much at the park and do you mean that you are staying at the Kilauea Lodge (http://www.kilauealodge.com/)? Isn't that lodge wonderful and very good food when we were there. They put us in the honeymoon suite with the double shower heads and it had a fireplace too but we preferred the other room where the sun came in. It was recommended by a TUGger so we tried it. Reservations have to be made a long time in advance for anyone who wants to try it too.

We did not stay there, they had a room when I called three weeks ago, but only a 'room' for the four of us. We ended up staying in a 'cottage' at the Country Goose B & B nearby, I expected something kinda gross since so many things were booked up, but was pleased to find it was really a 3 bedroom ranch house, spotless and bug free. The washer dryer came in very handy given how soaked we got walking back from the hopeful 'viewing spot." Breakfast this morning was perfect and plentiful, the hostess, Joan, was lovely. She manages several homes of friends within walking distance of her house where breakfast is served, it worked out perfectly and the price was reasonable. We went to the Lodge for dinner after the rainout... enjoyed the food, though the menu was heavily game-oriented (no bunny or antelope for us, thanks) and the flavors somewhat 'unusual...' Still, we enjoyed the evening there.

ArtsieAng
08-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Avery,

(no bunny or antelope for us, thanks)

...................:shock:

Have a great day, and keep us posted.......:biggrin:

Glitter Brunello
08-17-2006, 04:17 AM
today we took a road described in Big Island Revealed as a 'nasty 4wd road...' They weren't kidding! We had to ditch the jeep and walk the last mile or more. it was worth it!! I tried to post pics here, but they are too big :(

We had the beach to ourselves (duh, it's like ridiculous to get there), it was beautiful!! And we found a tide pool teeming with baby fish, even baby snowflake moray eels, only 3 inches long or so. It was really incredible. I am going to be sad to leave this island, I feel like there's so much more to explore here, so I guess we'll be back! But since we are leaving here and heading for Maui, how sad can I be? ;)

tomorrow will be a hopefully easy trip to Place of Refuge and the nearby bay for snorkeling. My oldest may get back in the water for that, though he enjoyed just hanging out in our deserted piece of paradise today.

Aloha,
Avery

taffy19
08-17-2006, 04:56 AM
today we took a road described in Big Island Revealed as a 'nasty 4wd road...' They weren't kidding! We had to ditch the jeep and walk the last mile or more. it was worth it!! I tried to post pics here, but they are too big :(

We had the beach to ourselves (duh, it's like ridiculous to get there), it was beautiful!! And we found a tide pool teeming with baby fish, even baby snowflake moray eels, only 3 inches long or so. It was really incredible. I am going to be sad to leave this island, I feel like there's so much more to explore here, so I guess we'll be back! But since we are leaving here and heading for Maui, how sad can I be? ;)

I knew you would want to come back one day! :grin:

tomorrow will be a hopefully easy trip to Place of Refuge and the nearby bay for snorkeling. My oldest may get back in the water for that, though he enjoyed just hanging out in our deserted piece of paradise today.

Aloha,
Avery
I hope you will see the turtles too at the Place of Refuge like we did. We also went snorkeling at a place nearby but I can't remember the name now.

Maui and Hawaii are so different and I hope you will like Maui too. There are way too many people going to that Island now so the traffic is congested but there are some very nice beaches over there. Makena Beach still looks like a native beach without all the hotels and condos but with the native trees that used to be at most beaches. It is the opposite of Ka-anapali Beach which is one hotel after another.

Isn't your week going fast? I am glad you are staying more than only one week! :biggrin:

Glitter Brunello
08-18-2006, 05:17 AM
Emmy,

YES, Turtles!! I got so scared when a wave hit me on my way in on Two Step and I fell on a Turtle!!! they are so gentle and graceful ( and tolerant of all the gawking snorkelers...). A pod of dolphin hung out in the bay all day, though we didn't swim that far out and didn't want to swarm them. But they sure seemed happy enough, I saw at least three leap out high over the water and spin before hitting the water again. Sigh....

btw I finally figured out the Lei secret... they aren't just silly flower necklaces... the smell of the plumeria stays with you all day/night, how wonderful!!!!

sigh again....

btw, I have NEVER liked a non-beachfront resort this much. I think it's because this island is so much about exploring; if it were beachfront we would miss so much... (there is little 'beachfront' in Kona, btw, and the Kohala Coast, where the 'good' beaches are, is pretty desolate...)

ArtsieAng
08-18-2006, 08:20 AM
YES, Turtles!! I got so scared when a wave hit me on my way in on Two Step and I fell on a Turtle!!! they are so gentle and graceful ( and tolerant of all the gawking snorkelers...).

Avery......I probably would have had a heart attack.......:shock:

I loved snorkeling this year, and am even going to take a local class on scuba diving. However, I am normally very uncomfortable around creatures that I am not accustomed to dealing with.

On my first snorkeling trip, my DH had to stay very close by....just in case he needed to save me........:rotflmao:

Sounds like you are having a very exciting, and memorable time.....:biggrin:

taffy19
08-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Yes, it sounds to me too that Avery is enjoying her trip. Are your sons too and your DH? I hope so.

I know you are OK but what about the Turtle? I hope he wasn't injured either. I was thinking about that last night.

Your week is almost finished and then on your way to Maui. I hope you will like it just as much. Love to hear your daily reports, especially about your experience to Hana. They must love that! Take lot's of pictures. :)

Glitter Brunello
08-19-2006, 03:56 AM
Emmy, the turtle was fine, no worries!! I think they are very tolerant of us humans encroaching on their beautiful bay. There was a pod of dolphin in the bay all afternoon, too, though we didn't swim out to them.. seemed they had enough company, though they didn't seem to mind it. I saw three of them jump up and spin, clearing the water by 6 to 10 feet.

Today we are on Maui. I feel a little like we've gone from Big Island to Long Island, but I think if we navigate properly we can avoid some of the crowds. The traffic from the airport to Kihei was so slow (but no honking;). Our ground floor unit at the Maui Banyan facing the road smelled like old wet water shoes so we moved to the Embassy Ka'anapali a bit early. Our suite is beautiful, newly renovated. We saw a spectacular sunset from the beach here. I did take pics and will post them when I get back, if the photo server is back :wink: My boys love it here, they spent the evening in the pool, ditched us for dinner, it's all good!! They really loved Big Island, especially the 'off road' adventures we took and the great snorkeling.

Btw, renting a car from Alamo at OGG was really bad, NOT worth the savings imho...

Aloha, more tomorrow. Maybe I shoud start a Maui thread...

Tomorrow I promised to plan nothing (everyone is a bit 'adventured out'),

taffy19
08-19-2006, 04:38 AM
Emmy, the turtle was fine, no worries!! I think they are very tolerant of us humans encroaching on their beautiful bay. There was a pod of dolphin in the bay all afternoon, too, though we didn't swim out to them.. seemed they had enough company, though they didn't seem to mind it. I saw three of them jump up and spin, clearing the water by 6 to 10 feet.

Today we are on Maui. I feel a little like we've gone from Big Island to Long Island, but I think if we navigate properly we can avoid some of the crowds. The traffic from the airport to Kihei was so slow (but no honking;). Our ground floor unit at the Maui Banyan facing the road smelled like old wet water shoes so we moved to the Embassy Ka'anapali a bit early. Our suite is beautiful, newly renovated. We saw a spectacular sunset from the beach here. I did take pics and will post them when I get back, if the photo server is back :wink: My boys love it here, they spent the evening in the pool, ditched us for dinner, it's all good!! They really loved Big Island, especially the 'off road' adventures we took and the great snorkeling.

Btw, renting a car from Alamo at OGG was really bad, NOT worth the savings imho...

Yes, a Maui thread would be nice but Shaggy also has a section where you can "Share Your Travel Memories (http://www.timeshareforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)" but we will read it wherever you post your daily review or stories. :)

I am happy for you that you got a nice redecorated Embassy Ka'anapali condo. Do you have a view too? That would be a double treat. :biggrin: I was trying to warn you a little how busy it is getting on Maui but the last time, we spent some time in the up-country and it was so peaceful. You will find a nice hide-away or beach if you read the "Maui Revealed". We drove some of the roads they recommended and you would rather not meet oncoming traffic!

I still feel that the Haleakala crater is very beautiful too with a lot of color in the crater so a big contrast from the lava fields on the Big Island. I am looking forward to your Maui experience.
Have fun!

Faust
08-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Avery,

We will be at the Embassy Ka'anapali on Maui next month. How do you like the Embassy? What do you think our chances are in getting a view of the ocean from the room the Embassy gives us?

Hope you are having a great time in Maui. How is it so far compared to the Big Island?

Have fun on the road to Hana. Donít forget to post pictures!

StressCadet
08-21-2006, 01:01 AM

How long did you stay in Kihei? It is busier......but did you do your activities you had planned from that side? Hana, etc? and did you see any of the beaches? I knew your boys would love the Embassy...much more "resorty" What floor are you on? I toured the Embassy on our visit in June and we went up to the 11th floor and I have to be honest-I was a bit dizzy-I like low rise places. I guess if I stayed there-I wouldn't worry about a view-LOL. About Alamo-yes I had a really bad experience with them this time. I have used them 3 times on Maui now and I think I am done. The problem for us is AA's fly/drive packages which are priced very well use Alamo. Alamo on Kauai was great-the Maui portion was not however. I am about ready to just pay the piper. I'm sorry about your place at the Banyan-but look where you are now :) Loving your periodic reports!

Glitter Brunello
08-21-2006, 05:18 AM
Ken,

I think your chances for an ocean view are slim, they seem to save those for owners/paying hotel folks/etc... BUT I don't think it matters much since you likely won't spend much time in your room. We are on the 7th floor as far away from the beach as you can get, facing the Safeway below and the mountains out yonder, and it is fine. It is too windy to sit on the skinny balcony, so the small size compared to our lanai on Big Island is immaterial. I would be more inclined to ask for a renovated room (we got one, and it is gorgeous) than I would for an ocean view since you might actually get a renovated room...

The sunset views from the beach/pool/restaurant are gorgeous. The beach here is a little smaller than some other areas, but fine. We only spent one day here (arrival day) for r & r, have been exploring Ka'anapali and Lahaina today and are heading for Hana tomorrow. There is much more of a big hotel feel here than at most traditional t/s we have stayed at, Marriott included.

We haven't explored much of the island yet, but compared to Big Island, Maui seems much more commercial and crowded. The airport area is very congested, and the beaches here have plenty o' people. On the plus side, Ka'anapali Beach is just spectacular despite all the humans (we spent today there near Whaler's Village and Black Rock, also checked out the Westin and Marriott). It is not as 'cool and quiet' here as on Big Island, BUT we have yet to explore the 'upcountry,' Haleakala, and Hana, so this is tbd...

I am very much looking forward to the road to Hana tomorrow, and my powergliding 'surprise' for the boys. It's really no longer a surprise, as they were dismayed at the thought of leaving the resort for another 'sightseeing' trip... when I asked them what they wanted to do today, my 14 year old said 'anarchy.' So we got him a surfing lesson ;)

StressCadet,

We didn't stay in Kihei long enough to do anything, we hightailed it out of the Banyan in time for II to give me a refund. We will head back down that way next week (unless we head to Kauai, an idea I am toying with) as I would like to check out Wailea. The resort itself, btw, seemed fine, but we got stuck in a lousy unit (101) and they wouldn't move us...

Aloha,
Avery

ArtsieAng
08-21-2006, 04:07 PM
avery

I am very much looking forward to the road to Hana tomorrow, and my powergliding 'surprise' for the boys. It's really no longer a surprise, as they were dismayed at the thought of leaving the resort for another 'sightseeing' trip... when I asked them what they wanted to do today, my 14 year old said 'anarchy.' So we got him a surfing lesson

i am really looking fotward to hearing about both the road to hana, and your powergliding adventure...............:)

Faust
08-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Recommend you go to Kauai since you're all the way there. The highlight would be the Napali coast especially via helocopter. The drive from Hanalei Bay to Waimea with the side stop to Koloa and Poipu is worth doing. It deserves the name "Garden Isle."

If you get this before you go to Hana, keep going (past Hana) to the Seven Pools.

StressCadet
08-22-2006, 01:29 AM
StressCadet,

We didn't stay in Kihei long enough to do anything, we hightailed it out of the Banyan in time for II to give me a refund. We will head back down that way next week (unless we head to Kauai, an idea I am toying with) as I would like to check out Wailea. The resort itself, btw, seemed fine, but we got stuck in a lousy unit (101) and they wouldn't move us...

Aloha,
Avery

I am all for you visiting Kauai. I thought I loved Maui-I own there-but this summer we visited Kauai.....and don't tell Maui but I think Kauai is my new favorite. I have yet to visit the BI-but Kauai just speaks to me about what Hawaii should be. We rented a private condo on the Northshore and then split the time at the Marriott Waiohai-think that might have something to do with it? :biggrin: My avatar is my feet in the sand at Anini Beach on Kauai. Beautiful, peaceful beach. Whatever you decide-have a great time!

Aloha,
Tracy

Sandcrab
08-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Hi Avery.....I'm really glad to hear that you got all the way to Hawaii with no problems. I was thinking about you, and hoping things would go smoothly.

I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed that you are able to manage a 3 week trip with just carry-on luggage. I find that difficult to accomplish when I do a weekend getaway......You'll have to give me your secrets....;)

You're taking pics....that's great. I can't wait to see them. Stay safe, have fun, and keep us posted.

Aloha........:biggrin:

Avery,

So happy I'm not traveling with you with your scant supply of essentials. Was in military for 34 yrs and can't imagine how offensive you are but that's between you and your maker.

Would love report on "big island", will be going there in Nov 2008.

bigfrank
08-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Recommend you go to Kauai since you're all the way there. The highlight would be the Napali coast especially via helocopter. The drive from Hanalei Bay to Waimea with the side stop to Koloa and Poipu is worth doing. It deserves the name "Garden Isle."

If you get this before you go to Hana, keep going (past Hana) to the Seven Pools.

Hi Avery just got back from vacation myself and saw this thread just now. I agree with Ken Napali coast is great in Kauai but I would rather go by speed raft as you fly over the waves.

Since right now you are near Kona there are a few coffee tours you can get for free. It is interesting and educational. Also Snorkeling on Cook Island is different.

Faust
08-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Since right now you are near Kona there are a few coffee tours you can get for free. It is interesting and educational. .

We will be on Maui next month, which free coffee tours are the best ones to go on?

bigfrank
08-22-2006, 09:53 AM
We will be on Maui next month, which free coffee tours are the best ones to go on?

Take the plane to Kona, I believe we had done Green-wells coffee plantaion. That take you through the entire process and then You sample the different coffee blends. If you go to Kauai and I am sure you will go to the Guava Plantation near the Pahio resorts.

Glitter Brunello
08-23-2006, 04:39 AM

Ken,

The coffee tours are on Big Island, if there are any on Maui we haven't seen them.

To those who recommended Kauai, I now have Marriott Waihoia on hold, need to figure out transport, I can't get a flight back to Maui in time to make our plane our Thursday so we'd only get to stay on Kauai 4 nights and return to Maui Wednesday. Worth it? Frank, what is the high speed boat you mentioned? We will be tapped out for big $$ trips like helicopter, etc. so will likely need to drive around and kids will want to hang out at hotel at least a day or two.

Frank, we snorkeled at Captain Cook, it was great. We also had an equally good (and injury free) snorkel day at Honaunau Bay (near Place of Refuge).

The trip to Hana was amazing, I will try to make a separate post with some tips. The hang gliding was exceptional, everyone loved it (even me).

Glitter Brunello
08-23-2006, 04:45 AM
Avery,

So happy I'm not traveling with you with your scant supply of essentials. Was in military for 34 yrs and can't imagine how offensive you are but that's between you and your maker.

Would love report on "big island", will be going there in Nov 2008.

:banana: :rotflmao:

We LOVED Big Island, especially Kona area. I would be happy to answer any questions, etc. If you would like some adventure, rent a 4wd, and if you can manage a Wrangler, you will be able to take advantage of the extra height that our standard Laredo could've used (but the Wrangler is too small if more than two of you, no room for bags w/4 people). Get Big Island Revealed, it was awesome.

taffy19
08-23-2006, 06:35 AM
To those who recommended Kauai, I now have Marriott Waihoia on hold, need to figure out transport, I can't get a flight back to Maui in time to make our plane our Thursday so we'd only get to stay on Kauai 4 nights and return to Maui Wednesday. Worth it? Frank, what is the high speed boat you mentioned? We will be tapped out for big $$ trips like helicopter, etc. so will likely need to drive around and kids will want to hang out at hotel at least a day or two.

The Waiohai (http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid7855033) is a beautiful resort with very nice two bedroom condos and lush grounds and nice pools. It is on a beach where you can swim, snorkel and I saw people surfing every day when we were there.

Only four nights out of the seven almost doubles your cost. Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent somewhere or can't you book a promotion deal? I would hate to give up all these days.

A drive to Wailea is a must do and Steve (http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=210970&postcount=14) posted here that he took a hike and saw the cliffs as good as you can see them from a boat. It is not an easy hike. We went by boat and this is what we saw (http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL586/2528069/5015683/63817055.jpg)! We went a second time but the weather wasn't half as nice so it didn't look like that.

Kilauea lighthouse (http://www.fws.gov/pacificislands/wnwr/kkilaueanwr.html) is also a very nice spot where you will see a lot of birds and we spotted two enormous manta rays and many whales and dolphins. The "Spouting Horn" blowhole is near the Waiohai. You don't have enough days but Kauai is beautiful!

Avery, don't forget the Haleakala crater. :)

Glitter Brunello
08-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Emmy,

If we keep it I will be using either an AC or a cancellation week that expires soon anyway. Our other add'l costs are inter-island flights and add'l car rental, not too awful. OR we could wait and try to get there next time for a full week, we'll see. We would have to fly back here to Maui the day before we leave for home, so we may decide it will too much hassle, but I would like to go.

Either way, we are planning to go to Haleakala on Thursday, even if the boys don't want to join us. Oh, we went to Mama's Fish House on our way home from Hana today, THANK YOU for recommending it. It was the most expensive meal we've had here (you warned me), but the only one that felt worth the money. We were lucky and got a table at the 'window' facing the beach, so we didn't feel crowded. Next time I would just try to allow time to get there early and relax/play a little at that gorgeous beach. It was really great food, and DH's desert (the Black Pearl) was so pretty we took a photo of it...

Ann-Marie
08-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Next summer we have a week on Maui at Kahana Falls, and then a week at Kona Hawaiian Village. From what you are saying, I'm glad my trade worked out that we will be in Maui first. We were there 20 years ago. I'm sure things have really changed.

taffy19
08-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Changed a lot. They are building one resort after another and also condo projects too and the traffic is as congested as here. It is a shame but we still like it as you can find places where it is less crowded. It's the traffic what bothers us most. It is very slow at certain times of the day.

Glitter Brunello
08-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Next summer we have a week on Maui at Kahana Falls, and then a week at Kona Hawaiian Village. From what you are saying, I'm glad my trade worked out that we will be in Maui first. We were there 20 years ago. I'm sure things have really changed.

Ann Marie,

I think you are doing it in the right order. There is much here on Maui to see/explore, but our kids love the resort area so it's tough to get away. They were very happy at FFKHV, too, and it was a lot mellower for me ;) If you find West Maui too busy, take the road to Hana and stay the night!

Avery

T. R. Oglodyte
08-23-2006, 04:35 PM
A drive to Wailea is a must do and Steve (http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=210970&postcount=14) posted here that he took a hike and saw the cliffs as good as you can see them from a boat. It is not an easy hike. We went by boat and this is what we saw (http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL586/2528069/5015683/63817055.jpg)! We went a second time but the weather wasn't half as nice so it didn't look like that.

Some comments on the difficulty of the hike. For reference, my wife walked it in Keds. I wore Nike cross-trainers. My daguhter had tibi hiking sandals, and her boyfriend had hiking shoes (not boots).

Unless there has been recent heavy rain, the hike is not technically difficult at all. The harder part is the length and the changes in elevation. My wife - who does only moderate exercise - was quite tired at the end of the day. The return to the `Awa`awapuhi trailhead at the end of the day took a lot out of her. We also started on the Nualolo and finished on the `Awa`awapuhi, which is a gain in elevation of about 1300 feet from start to finish. Based on where cars were parked and traffic on the trail, my guess is that most people hike it the reverse direction.

Because it is an all-day hike with some climbs and descents, it's critical that your footwear not give you blisters. Getting a hotspot halfway along the Cliff Trail would pretty much ruin that day and the next several days as well. The other important element is water - bring lots of it. Think in terms of one gallon per person. Going into heat stress and dehydration would also be a real vacation bummer.

Of course, if you have only one car and need to hike back to your orignal trailhead along the Koke`e park road, there's no net change in elevation no matter how you do it. One strategy might to have the person who is the best hiker drop off everyone at the `Awa`awapuhi trailhead, drive the car down to the Nualolo trailhead and leave the car there, and then hike back to the `Awa`awapuhi to rejoin the rest of the group.

Personally, I think the hike to the lava on the Big Island is about the same difficulty as the Na Pali coast trails. If you're not up for an all day loop hike as we took, just do one of the ridge trails - i.e., go out to the end of the Nualolo, 'Awa`awapuhi, or Honopu trails and come back. That would be about a one-half day hike, and would be no worse than hiking to the lava. And if you slip the Na Pali won't cut your clothes and skin as would happen on the lava hike. And you would be hiking the Na Pali trails in the daytime, instead of pitch black dark as most people do on the lava hike.

taffy19
08-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Steve, the hike, in March, is a different story because they have some heavy rains and it was too slippery so we didn't go far. I am not sure if we are talking about the exact same hike. This was the one at the very end where the parking lot is. People have permits too, I believe, to stay overnight. It is a very long trail. We were only going to walk to the first stream and see if we could cross it but we didn't continue.

I am glad you and your family made this beautiful walk. Just show us your pictures. :mrgreen:

Avery has decided to stay on Maui and I feel she did the right thing. It is more relaxing and it gives her a reason to go back again. Kauai deserves more time than a few days!

T. R. Oglodyte
08-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Steve, the hike, in March, is a different story because they have some heavy rains and it was too slippery so we didn't go far. I am not sure if we are talking about the exact same hike. This was the one at the very end where the parking lot is. People have permits too, I believe, to stay overnight. It is a very long trail. We were only going to walk to the first stream and see if we could cross it but we didn't continue.

I believe you are referring to the Kalalau trail, whhich starts at the parking lot at the end of the road at Ke`e beach in Ha`ena park.

The Kalalau trail is definitely more technical than the Na Pali trails that are in Koke`e Park near the top of Waimea Canyon. Being on the windward side, the Kalalau trail is far more likely to be muddy and slippery. Several years ago, a co-worker was stranded for four days on the other side of the stream that you are referring to. With rains, the river was so high that no one could get across.

If there has been a dry spell, the Kalalau trail is really a pretty easy hike - my daughter and I did it a couple of years ago and it was actually easier than the Na Pali trails we did last week. But that is unusual. Most of the time it is much more challenging.

The Na Pali trails, though, are generally easier, and I think they are almost as rewarding as the Kalalau. Also, because the trails are several thousand feet above sea level, the temperatures are a bit cooler. Hikers can do the loop as we did, and make it a full day affair, or just go out and back on a single one and make a half day of it. Kaua`i hikes are not mentioned often by TUGgers and TS4Mers in talking about Kaua`i activities, but Kaua`i is one of the best places in the world for hikes.

T. R. Oglodyte
08-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Just show us your pictures.

I've probably got about 1000 photos to sort through now that we're back. That's the downside of digital photography. Instead of Kaua`i I'll give you a couple from Moloka`i.

This is the cemetry at St. Philomena Church on the Kalaupapa peninsula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalaupapa) - the former leper colony.

http://home.comcast.net/~noslensj/Damien_grave_tn.JPG

The large marker on the left is Father Damien's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Damien) original grave (before his body was exhumed and reburied in Belgium). The sea cliiffs in the background are the tallest in the world - more than 3000 feet high.

And here's one from the trail descending the pali to Kalaupapa, taken from the back of my mule:

http://home.comcast.net/~noslensj/kalalau_pali.jpg

taffy19
08-24-2006, 07:59 PM
We love Molokai but it is not for everyone because there are no fancy shops, hotels or restaurants. There is only one. However, if you like nature, it is paradise and this is how Hawaii used to be. Time is standing still here and they do not want cruise ships coming to their island either.

Very nice pictures, Steve. Will you share your album when it is ready? Yes, that is the problem with digital pictures. You take too many and it is hard to decide what to show. ;)

StressCadet
08-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Steve,
Thanks so much for posting those pics of Molokai. I want to visit in 2008 when my son turns 16 so that he can visit Kalaupapa with me. I just recently posted somewhere else about whether the Mule ride was appropriate for some one who has acrophobia and well...your photo pretty much confirms it for me-I'm not heading in on a mule-LOL-I can fly in.

Luanne
08-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Steve,
Thanks so much for posting those pics of Molokai. I want to visit in 2008 when my son turns 16 so that he can visit Kalaupapa with me. I just recently posted somewhere else about whether the Mule ride was appropriate for some one who has acrophobia and well...your photo pretty much confirms it for me-I'm not heading in on a mule-LOL-I can fly in.

When we were on Molokai last summer only my older dd and I went to Kalaupapa (we did the fly in, fly out). We left younger dd and dh "home" as younger dd was only 14. We were told that later that summer the age restriction was going to be removed. So, it may be possible for you to go sooner.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back