PDA

View Full Version : Makai Club Cottages in Kauai. Have you stayed there?

Faust
09-05-2005, 10:03 AM
We just booked Makai Club Cottages through RCI last call for 9/11/2005 to 9/18/2005. I was wondering if anyone has stayed there lately. The last review was a year ago.
PRO & CONS PLEASE

bigfrank
09-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Ken did you cancel you camping trip to stay here?

katiemack
09-05-2005, 12:24 PM
The location is in the North, away from most of the areas you might wish to visit, but close to Bali Hai, some good beaches and about 30 to 50 minutes drive South to Kapaa, much longer drive to Poipu or Waimea Canyon.

We had 2 weeks reserved....we canceled the second one and moved to another location. Why?

It was February, and known to be colder and wetter in the North of Kauai at that time. We don't mind either, but the "louver" windows in the bedrooms and jalousies around the living room and the roof were in terrible condition.

The wind would whip up at night, and in the master bedroom it was so cold we had to put several blankets and towels on us. We used the beach towels to drape over the louvers close to the bed. My poor husband felt like his head nearly froze off one night the wind was so cold.

We spoke to the front desk about the condition of the units, and we were told that the owners units had been refurbished and some of the exchange units, but the structural repairs like replacing broken louvers or bad jalousie or cracked ones was not part of the plan.

I don't know if it has changed since then, but we would love to hear that your experience turns out better.

We actually love Princeville, and have been there in the cold and wet season several times before, and never minded it. But that stay at MCC was very uncomfortable.

Oh, I forgot the second reason we canceled the second week....the darn roosters! Because the windows wouldn't seal properly, the roosters crowing was amazingly annoying! Every time someone put on a light, bathroom light or any type of light, even at 1 AM or 3 AM, the dang birds crowed. Sometimes right under our window, sometimes a few cottages away.

Not restful.

Other than that, the units are enormous, and tropically decorated.

Faust
09-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Frank
Yes we cancelled our camping trip to stay there (but still bringing 1 small tent & the camping permit in case mood strikes us to be under the stars) . $200/wk for a two bedroom condo in Kauai made me reevaluate camping. Now I can bring the rest of my scuba diving equipment and do more diving. We still plan to be at the Embassy the 2nd week. I am in the middle of repacking my bags as we speak.

Katiemack
Thank you for responding your information help.

bigfrank
09-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Ken I think you made the right choice. I would take a 2 bedroom condo over a tent any day.

Faust
09-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Here is the reason I decided to book the Makai Club Cottages.

http://www.weather.com/weather/extended/USHI0081?par=yahoo&site=www.yahoo.com&promo=extendedforecast&cm_ven=Yahoo&cm_cat=www.yahoo.com&cm_pla=forecastpage&cm_ite=CityPage#

4ARedOctober
05-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Wow.....now I know why my wife would never let me book a week there....sher would not like that.....I hope you all posted a review in our new database with all these experiences.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back