PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks at Paniolo Greens

nursetanya1973
06-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks to the bulk space banking and the sighting here (thank you), I reserved 2 weeks at Paniolo Greens for Feb. 24-March 9th. I used two Fairfield 70k red studios. The VC said I would not have seen them with blue studios. I didn't think that 2 studios for 2 2BR was too bad. I have until tomorrow to cancel.

I know virtually nothing about HI. I am trying to read up, but 3 questions quickly: Is this "the Big Island"? Is this good for the first visit to HI? and, was this a good exchange?

This is for my 50-some year old parents, and I do not want them to be disappointed. Thanks!!

Tanya

bigfrank
06-18-2006, 11:30 AM
yes it is in the big Island and you did great on the trade. I would not do 2 weeks in a row at this resort. The resort is nice but it is not near anything. You are far from the beaches. I would try to get another unit elsewhere either for the first or second week. even if you lose a day or two due to overlapping I would try asap while you won't lose money for canceling. If you want you can also send them on another Island. inter island flights are about $75 pp.

nursetanya1973
06-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I hadn't thought of trying 2 different resorts, any suggestions on which other resort? Can anyone see anything else available? I don't have any visible deposits.

lawren2
06-18-2006, 03:41 PM
It makes a difference. :) Nevermind it MUST be 2008!

Resort ID: 3977 PANIOLO GREENS See Reviews
Select Unit Type Max Occ/Privacy Kitchen Check-in Date Type
2 6 / 6 Full 02/24/2008 Exchange
2 6 / 6 Full 02/29/2008 Exchange
2 6 / 6 Full 03/01/2008 Exchange
2 6 / 6 Full 03/02/2008 Exchange
2 6 / 6 Full 03/07/2008 Exchange
2 6 / 6 Full 03/08/2008 Exchange
2 6 / 6 Full 03/09/2008 Exchange

and are they amenable to taking an inter-island flight to a 2nd island?

The only other option I see with a strong trader is Honolulu

Resort ID: 2605 IMPERIAL HAWAII VACATION CLUB See Reviews
Select Unit Type Max Occ/Privacy Kitchen Check-in Date Type
S 2 / 2 Partial 03/07/2008 Exchange

Glitter Brunello
06-18-2006, 03:44 PM
If picked it up in the bulk banking, it must be 2008. Plenty of time to pick up a second week, I would think, though that is prime time...

nursetanya1973
06-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Yes, 2008.

In reading the TUG reviews, it seems like this would be a place my parnets would like, quiet, but near enough to do a lot. I think they would be willing to take an inter-island flight, but I wouldn't want to give up the week and then have nothing.

I have FF and HGVC to use. It is too early to get an HGVC week, unless through exchange. If I am going to change anything, it will have to be by tomorrow night, and I don't think I would want to cancel without something else available. Just call me chicken. Cluck, Cluck!

Faust
06-18-2006, 05:42 PM
. Plenty of time to pick up a second week, I would think, ...

I second that what Avery said. I think there will be other resorts popping up on other islands most likely Kauai

But do what you feel is best; there is no soled advice just educated guess

But for now this is all I see

Imperial Hawaii Vacation Club
See Reviews 2605 Honolulu, HI, USA 2/2 03/07/2008 - 03/07/2008

Paniolo Greens
See Reviews 3977 Waikoloa, HI, USA 6/6 02/23/2008 - 03/09/2008

Glitter Brunello
06-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Ok, look, you are not going to end up with nothing. I have never been to HI, we are making our first trip in August, so what do I know? But I feel like it is so far from the mainland, we should see at least two islands if we have two weeks... Plus I think, from what I've read, that your parents might also like Kauai, where there is more t/s than Maui,... So if it were me, I would take a chance and book one week at Paniolo, then start looking for some alternatives. Even if you buy air first, you will find likely find them something on Kauai. And if you get stuck, you can always look for a rental through one of the last-minute sites or :firedevil RCI :firedevil

nursetanya1973
06-18-2006, 09:38 PM
But I feel like it is so far from the states, we should see at least two islands if we have two weeks... Plus I think, from what I've read, that your parents might also like Kauai, where there is more t/s than Maui,... So if it were me, I would take a chance and book one week at Paniolo, then start looking for some alternatives. Even if you buy air first, you will find likely find them something on Kauai. And if you get stuck, you can always look for a rental through one of the last-minute sites or :firedevil RCI :firedevil

Yeah, sounds like a plan. I will talk to my mom about it and make sure she is ok with it as well. Changing resorts always seems like a hassle to me, so I admit, I didn't even think of it til mentioned here. I would like to help my parents have the best experience they can, my mom is the Disney expert, she leaves everything else to me.

Any thoughts on which week to release? The dates are extremely flexible, they could take any of the weeks surrounding those. Maybe release the March 2 week?

Thanks for everyones help, can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Tanya

Summit1231
06-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Tanya,

Our first trip to Hawaii was to the Big Island. We have made several trips since and always to the Big Island with maybe a side trip to another Island. A 2nd week in the kona/kailua area would be a great way to cap off a 2 week trip.

I think your parents will find Big Island most relaxing and yet quite engaging with scenery, sites, food and friendly people.:smile:

Aloha
Bob

aliikai2
06-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Even though Paniolo Greens is upcountry from the coast, you will have a great view of the coast . :mrgreen:

Plus you are 15 minutes away from some of the best beaches on the Kohala coast, and 20 minutes out if Waimea.:wavey:

And the Waikoloa Village and all that shopping and eating is just down the hill.:banana:

It is great location to travel to the north or east sides of the island. Or just hanging out in the pool complex.:sleeping:

I hate packing and checking out at 10am , traveling to another resort, and then waiting until 4pm to check in. What a waste of a day in Hawaii.:pissed:

Besides, what are you going to do with all the great grocery items you bought at Costco?? :confused:

You are going to be in the car heading towards the volcano anyway, what is another 20 minutes or so??

I have heard many talk about the cost of time while in Hawaii, that figure that a tour that only pays $100 for 3 hours of combined time isn't a good value, well, moving resorts wastes an entire 10 hour day, even more if you go to another island!!!

And to the other comments

Ok, look, you are not going to end up with nothing. I have never been to HI, we are making our first trip in August, so what do I know? But I feel like it is so far from the states,

Hawaii is a state now, in fact it has been since 1959, and while there please don't use phrases like " Once I get back to the States" .. the lower 48 is the mainland, and the islands are Hawaii..

jmho, Greg

Yeah, sounds like a plan. I will talk to my mom about it and make sure she is ok with it as well. Changing resorts always seems like a hassle to me, so I admit, I didn't even think of it til mentioned here. I would like to help my parents have the best experience they can, my mom is the Disney expert, she leaves everything else to me.

Any thoughts on which week to release? The dates are extremely flexible, they could take any of the weeks surrounding those. Maybe release the March 2 week?

Thanks for everyones help, can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Tanya

nursetanya1973
06-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Even though Paniolo Greens is upcountry from the coast, you will have a great view of the coast . :mrgreen:

Plus you are 15 minutes away from some of the best beaches on the Kohala coast, and 20 minutes out if Waimea.:wavey:

And the Waikoloa Village and all that shopping and eating is just down the hill.:banana:

It is great location to travel to the north or east sides of the island. Or just hanging out in the pool complex.:sleeping:

Thanks for the encouragement, I am very excited for them. Now if I can just convince my husband we should go with.... I am going to let mom decide if they would like to switch resorts/islands, but they will probably decline.

Hawaii is a state now, in fact it has been since 1959, and while there please don't use phrases like " Once I get back to the States" .. the lower 48 is the mainland, and the islands are Hawaii..

jmho, Greg

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.:)

Tanya

aliikai2
06-19-2006, 01:54 PM
http://www.konaweb.com/#WEBCAM :link:

http://www.beachactivityguide.com/

and be sure to get the Big Island reveled book.

We also found that the Hawaii Savers card worked well at Buns in the Sun for sandwiches and the best Kona Coffee buy on the entire island.

A real Kona , not a blend that they sold for $18.95 per pound, and you get 20% of with that card.:mrgreen:

Enjoy your trip. Greg

Glitter Brunello
06-19-2006, 04:12 PM

jmho, Greg

OMG I can't believe I did that. Editing now, and thank you for pointing it out.

Avery

Summit1231
03-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks to the bulk space banking and the sighting here (thank you), I reserved 2 weeks at Paniolo Greens for Feb. 24-March 9th. I used two Fairfield 70k red studios. The VC said I would not have seen them with blue studios. I didn't think that 2 studios for 2 2BR was too bad. I have until tomorrow to cancel.

I know virtually nothing about HI. I am trying to read up, but 3 questions quickly: Is this "the Big Island"? Is this good for the first visit to HI? and, was this a good exchange?

This is for my 50-some year old parents, and I do not want them to be disappointed. Thanks!!

Tanya

So is everything working out ?
We always had wonderul relaxing vacations on the Big Island.
( With 50+ parents, although now we are now 50+ )

Never stayed at Paniola Greens. How is it ?
We are thinking of trying to trade into Paniola in the future. Please keep us posted.

Bob

rklein01
03-04-2007, 10:11 AM
We did a week at Paniolo Greens and a week at Kona Hawaiian Village (the Fairfield propery) in early December.

Although there's nothing to walk to from PG, it was a prime location for driving everywhere on the Big Island except to the downtown tourist area (bars, tee shirts, jewelry, cruise ship harbor) of Kona (KHV is less than a mile from the tourist area). The pool at PG is adequate. And there's a full-sized supermarket only a quarter-mile up the road.

Our 2-BR at PG was a very large, clean and comfortable condo with a golf course view. As noted it's about 5 miles down to the coast where you'll find the Big Island's best beach for sunning and ocean swimming (not snorkeling - - the snorkel beaches are nearer to KHV). It's also easier to get from PG to Hilo and Volcano National Park (which you must not miss). From PG to Volcano is 99 miles each way--we stayed one night over inside the park so we could hike the night we arrived and the more the next day.

Enjoy!

Laurie
03-04-2007, 10:17 AM
There are mixed opinions about Paniolo Greens, I'm one who didn't care for it.

We spent a week at Paniolo Greens on our third trip to the Big Island, and perosnally I wouldn't go back to Paniolo Greens for 1 week, let alone 2 - and I even like the black lava. The reason? To me this location didn't feel much like typical Hawaii anything, but rather just a country club town without much character. (We *are* going to BI for our 4th trip, but to a Fairfield resort in Kona.)

There are so many bulk-bankings of FF resorts in Hawaii (lately, 2 Kona resorts and the Honolulu one), that unless they really want those dates, and want to be in a quiet spot far from the places they travel to Hawaii to visit rather than up close, I'd hold out.

At the very least, I'd do the second week elsewhere. Lots comes up in Hawaii last minute, or closer to the date.

eal
03-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I spent a week at Paniolo Greens in January and I like it very much and would go back in a heartbeat. The drive to the resorts and beaches near Waikoloa was 6 miles on a fast road. We also had good access to other parts of the island that were just beautiful. When we did a long day to Volcano National Park we had dinner in Waimea and were home for bedtime without feeling exhausted (after all, we are 50-somethings!).

The resort was very spacious yet homey, the staff were great, and the grocery store (within walking distance) had good prices. When there was a tsunami warning on our last night there, we got to go to bed (the resort is at 1500 feet elevation) while everyone at the beach resorts was packing up and worrying at midnight. :)

Glitter Brunello
03-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I am just so pleased that someone resurrected this thread :abused: :troll:

Luanne
03-04-2007, 02:50 PM
We've stayed at Paniolo Greens twice now and have another week this summer (2007). We like the units and the location is fine.

4ARedOctober
03-04-2007, 03:54 PM
1) As far as checking out at 10/11 am and then checking in at a new resort around 4 p.m...try to find overlapping weeks by a day. That way your parents can move a day early and it is one move without the wait or burning a day. They do burn a night but I would rather have the convenience of moving everything and not having to wait during daytime playtime.

2) If you have a week to deposit then try Trading Places International - Timeshare Rentals, Exchange, Resales, and Travel Services (http://www.tradingplaces.com) as they have inventory available for your second week. But if you are depositing studio's you have to pay an upgrade fee for size.

Mauna Loa Village - Kailua-Kona, HI, United States
Dates: Feb 15, 2008 - Feb 22, 2008
Size: 2 Bedroom
Occupancy: 6

Kona Hawaiian Village - Kailua-Kona, HI, United States
Dates: Feb 16, 2008 - Feb 23, 2008

Dates: Feb 17, 2008 - Feb 24, 2008

Dates: Feb 24, 2008 - Mar 02, 2008

Dates: Feb 29, 2008 - Mar 07, 2008

Dates: Feb 29, 2008 - Mar 07, 2008
Size: 1 Bedroom
Occupancy: 4

Dates: Mar 01, 2008 - Mar 08, 2008

Dates: Mar 01, 2008 - Mar 08, 2008

Dates: Mar 02, 2008 - Mar 09, 2008

Dates: Mar 02, 2008 - Mar 09, 2008

nursetanya1973
03-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Well, in hindsight I wish I had held out to get them a second week at a different resort. But I think they will be OK. Not having ever tried for HI, I was a little nervous and trigger happy, I guess.

I am hoping that by the time they go (next year at this time), they will have a good idea of what they want to see and do. They can always go to a different island for a few days and just use a hotel.
They really haven't started any planning yet, because they have 2 other trips in the meantime. They are just about to WDW right now with my brother and his family. And they are going with my family on a Disney Cruise in December.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back