T. R. Oglodyte
03-15-2011, 01:39 PM
This is the current (as of 10:30 am, PDT, 3/15/11) offering at wtso.com:

Vinedos de Villaester
Taurus
Toro
Tempranillo 2005
Free Shipping on 4 or more

I think this is a great buy if you like Spanish Tempranillos (which are my favorites). Most decent tempranillos in my experience need a decent amount of time to age, and this already has six years.

Again, as with most good termprnillos, it's going to need some time to breathe; don't pop and pour or you'll probably be disappointed. I would give it three or four hours in a decanter and overnight would certainly not be unreasonable.

BTW - here's the CT page on it: 2005 Vinedos de Villaester Toro Taurus (http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=962502)

Glitter Brunello
03-15-2011, 03:19 PM
good one! I'm in for 8, thanks for posting.

bigfrank
03-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Since it has Taurus in the name and I am a Taurus, I will go for it

T. R. Oglodyte
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
And the offer is now over.

Congrats to the two of you who jumped in. If you like tempranillos, you should find these to be nice reliable drinkers after giving them enough time to open up. If they still seem pretty tight after a decent amount of breathing, you might stick them away for some more aging.

I'm sure this will never have that deep combination of velvety smoothness and fruit that the best tempranillos attain. But they should be quite nice every day drinkers. For myself, when I just feel like opening a "daily drinker" red, tempranillos such as this are often where I'm most drawn.

T. R. Oglodyte
03-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Then they followed it up a few hours with this 2006 Bodega Luzdivina Amigo Bierzo Viñademoya (http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=897742) for $10.99. I've picked that one up several times before, and it's a fine ~$10 dry Spanish red as well.

Normally that's close to an autobuy for me, but coming so quickly after the Taurus (of which I bought a case), I let it pass. If they had run this about one week later I suppose I would have succumbed to that one as well. Not good planning on their part, IMHO.

Glitter Brunello
03-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Then they followed it up a few hours with this 2006 Bodega Luzdivina Amigo Bierzo Viñademoya (http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=897742) for $10.99. I've picked that one up several times before, and it's a fine ~$10 dry Spanish red as well.

Normally that's close to an autobuy for me, but coming so quickly after the Taurus (of which I bought a case), I let it pass. If they had run this about one week later I suppose I would have succumbed to that one as well. Not good planning on their part, IMHO.

Maybe they were trying to appease those who missed out after we bought all the Tempranillo... :wink:...

There are some great values from Spain.

T. R. Oglodyte
03-16-2011, 01:26 AM
There are some great values from Spain.

Portugal, too, and Italy.

My experience has certainly been that it's hard to go wrong on a decently made Spanish tempranillo that's at least six years old. And even if you don't always concur with Steven Tanzer or Wine Spectators, they are useful for at least filtering out stuff that is junk. So if it gets decent comments from some reputable sources, and I can get it for about $12 or less with shipping, I find that I'm seldom disappointed. And it's almost always significantly better than at least most of what I've taken home from TJs for less than $10 per bottle.

In fact, I've now find that most of the touted reds I get in the <$10 range leave me asking myself "Is that all this is?"

So right now I figure that for the same price I can get some incredibly dense Iberian and Italian reds that, with proper aging and breathing, will almost always knock the socks off what is available domestically for the same price range (and will outpace almost any $25 red that has "Napa Valley" label appellation).

And I have BigFrank to thank for expanding my horizons. If it hadn't been for words from him I never would have tried Spanish and Italian reds.

bigfrank
03-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Would you believe I just got it. Will open one up tonight :wino:

Glitter Brunello
03-17-2011, 04:25 PM

mine came today too. Tonight is japanese food, though, so gonna be sake :wink: I'll try to open one of these this weekend to check it out.

T. R. Oglodyte
03-17-2011, 04:32 PM

Yeah - you're close the WSO base of operations in Jersey. I asked them to hold my shipment until the first week of April because I'm going to be on the road.

Give us a good tasting report, Frank!!! I'm anxious to know what you think of it right out of the bottle versus after having some time in a decanter.

Also I'm curious to know if you think it could use more time.

There's another attractive offering right now -

Bodegas Y Vinedos
Recoletas
Vendimia
Seleccionada 2004

$15.99 a bottle for a Jay Miller 90-point Ribera del Duero blend that ostensibly retails for $50. It hits most of the points that often intrigue me, but unfortunately there isn't any commentary up on this one at CellarTracker. I usually like to see at least a few comments at CT before I pull the trigger, even though I do take CT comments skeptically unless it's a commenter I recognize. And the last time I decided to try a WTSO offering under those conditions I wound up with one of the best buys I've ever made.

But I just popped for a case of the Taurus and I got about eight bottles of sangio from winewoot a couple of weeks ago. So I've got plenty of red and I've spent plenty of money on wine recently. Plus this isn't the first time this offering has appeared at wtso. So I've just convinced myself to pass.

Drink up, Frank, and if you don't like it you can only blame yourself. 'Cause if it weren't for you I wouldn't have started buying Spanish and Italian red wines, and then I wouldn't have started this thread.

So pat yourself on the back if you like it, and kick yourself in the ass if you don't. :grin:

bigfrank
03-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Drink up, Frank, and if you don't like it you can only blame yourself. 'Cause if it weren't for you I wouldn't have started buying Spanish and Italian red wines, and then I wouldn't have started this thread.

So pat yourself on the back if you like it, and kick yourself in the ass if you don't. :grin:

I would say 80% of my wines are Italiann 10% from the US and the rest Europe. After going to Italy well lests just say I found home.

bigfrank
03-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Wine was well worth it, Looking forward to getting this again

Glitter Brunello
03-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Great!

T. R. Oglodyte
03-18-2011, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the report. Did you decant or pop-and-pour?

bigfrank
03-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the report. Did you decant or pop-and-pour?

We pop N POURED but this was bottle #4 or 5 that we opened so it all tasted good by then. I think we made it to 8 bottles not to sure if we all made it to 8 :eek2:

Glitter Brunello
03-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Ok. I opened a bottle at 8:30. I'm really glad to have read this thread because it was disappointing out of the bottle. By 9 it was already better and at 9:15 is really starting to open up nicely.

There were a couple of other tempting reds up today.

I have found some younger tempranillos in restaurants that were good out of the bottle. One in particular that I can remember was a 2006 - I know the restaurant but didn't pay attention to the name of the wine. I liked it so much that I ordered a different one at another restaurant the following week, but it was a 2008 and really too young.

9:35: still improving!

10:45: It's really very good. A bit dry on the finish. That's my glass for tonight, I'm taking it easy. I don't have to worry about wasting the bottle at this price :abused:

A really good buy, thanks for posting it.

T. R. Oglodyte
03-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Ok. I opened a bottle at 8:30. I'm really glad to have read this thread because it was disappointing out of the bottle. By 9 it was already better and at 9:15 is really starting to open up nicely.

There were a couple of other tempting reds up today.

I have found some younger tempranillos in restaurants that were good out of the bottle. One in particular that I can remember was a 2006 - I know the restaurant but didn't pay attention to the name of the wine. I liked it so much that I ordered a different one at another restaurant the following week, but it was a 2008 and really too young.

9:35: still improving!
Two hours breathing time is pretty typical of what I find most good Spanish reds need. I'm glad you stuck with it; most people don't and consequently many Spanish reds are great bargains in the market.

My wine appreciation is advancing. I've reached a place with tempranillos and grenaches, though, to have reached some general conclusions about styles of wines.

Some of them are made to be drunk right away. Those are usually very fruity initially, but don't have a lot of depth behind the fruitiness. They're pop-and pour wines - if you don't finish them off within an hour they fade very quickly. They can be good with very spicy foods, but as a wine to enjoy while you sit around chatting, they don't cut it for me.

Others need time to age. These are wines that are denser and richer. Sometimes I can taste the stems and the seeds in them; it's like eating a Tokay grape and biting into the seed; the tannins such the moisture out of your mouth and leave a bitter taste.

But if they're done right I can appreciate them; the tannins smooth out and add a texture to the wine. And with aeration after aging the fruit elements come forward Most of the time with tempranillos the predominant flavor to me is cherries.

But if they are well crafted, they are dense and they don't work coming out right out of the bottle. They simply must be given time; as I mentioned above I've had many that I thought needed hours to really open up.

Through experience I've learned that if a tempranillo or grenache tastes good right out of the bottle, drink it quickly because it's going to fade.

But combining a couple of bottles of good tempranillo or grenache with the company of good friends is an evening of delight.

BTW - if you give them time to aerate they're much less likely to create aftereffects, such as hangovers.

Glitter Brunello
03-19-2011, 12:08 AM
And then there are some more expensive wines that are great out of the bottle (or after a short time decanting) but keep getting better and better over a few hours regardless - if you can keep them around that long....

I think it's more of a challenge in this price range, but it's easy to spend $30 or $40 on something that isn't great. So much easier to experiment at this price point. At a retail liquor store I can usually manage to find something nice at $20 or under - we have been really enjoying a couple of nice Malbecs recently.

T. R. Oglodyte
03-19-2011, 12:46 AM
And then there are some more expensive wines that are great out of the bottle (or after a short time decanting) but keep getting better and better over a few hours regardless - if you can keep them around that long....

I think it's more of a challenge in this price range, but it's easy to spend $30 or $40 on something that isn't great. So much easier to experiment at this price point. At a retail liquor store I can usually manage to find something nice at $20 or under - we have been really enjoying a couple of nice Malbecs recently.

At the price point for this wine and knowing it's a 2004 their obviously clearing it out because it didn't sell. The question is whether the glut is because it's crappy wine that they overpriced or good wine that just didn't sell.

Based on independent information it was clear this was a decent to good wine that just didn't sell (unlike a bottle of 2005 Columbia Crest Syrah I had about six months ago; after tasting that it was clear why they had a glut of it.)

I know exactly what you're saying about the $30 bottles that don't deliver. I'm actually more confident going into a deal such as this one than I am with many higher priced wines. I was almost certain this was a good offering; far more so than when I sit down in most restaurants (where the wine list is often loaded with inferior, easy-drinking wines).

Glitter Brunello
03-19-2011, 01:01 AM
At the price point for this wine and knowing it's a 2004 their obviously clearing it out because it didn't sell. The question is whether the glut is because it's crappy wine that they overpriced or good wine that just didn't sell.

Based on independent information it was clear this was a decent to good wine that just didn't sell (unlike a bottle of 2005 Columbia Crest Syrah I had about six months ago; after tasting that it was clear why they had a glut of it.)

I know exactly what you're saying about the $30 bottles that don't deliver. I'm actually more confident going into a deal such as this one than I am with many higher priced wines. I was almost certain this was a good offering; far more so than when I sit down in most restaurants (where the wine list is often loaded with inferior, easy-drinking wines).

Based on what hit me when I opened it, I'm not that surprised. At this price, I don't how many people decant...

T. R. Oglodyte
03-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Based on what hit me when I opened it, I'm not that surprised. At this price, I don't how many people decant...

So here are some similar offerings that you might want to jump on if they show up again on WTSO:

Andres Valiente e Hijos Valencia Pasamonte. I've picked this up twice for $12 - $12.50/bottle - once the 2005 (CT link) (http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=955610) and once the 2006 2006 (CT link) (http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=857241). I'm sipping a glass of the 2005 as I post this; intitial pour is fruity, but not well balanced. Tannins hit after a couple of minutes. This is my third bottle in this set, and I know that after an hour or so it's going to come into balance and will finish quite nicely. I can put a Vacu-vin in it and have the rest tomorrow and it will be splendid.

2006 Bodega Luzdivina Amigo Bierzo Viñademoya (CT link) (http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=897742). This was about $11 per bottle.

Both are good buys. Again, give them plenty of time to breathe.

[added note] 3 hrs later as I'm working late tonight. Still sipping the Pasamonte. At this point it has really come together. I could (possibly will) continue sipping this all night.

T. R. Oglodyte
04-29-2011, 06:11 PM
I've had a couple of these now, and they are almost exactly as I expected them to be.

Like most tempranillos I enjoy, decanting is necessary, one hour is not unreasonable. After opening up, you get a nice combination of fruit flavors combined with some deeper layers of flavor. I like tempranillos because I find them not quite as heavy and deep-fruited as most syrahs and cabs - that's just a matter of personal preference. There's also enough free tannin left that I think they will improve significantly with a couple of years more aging if one were so inclined.

The last couple of bottles I've had took significantly less time to open up - that may be a matter of overcoming bottle shock from shipping.

At $10/bottle this was an excellent buy. I'm glad I bought a case and I will be in for more if it reappears.

T. R. Oglodyte
05-08-2011, 12:29 AM
This was up again at WTSO and I missed it while I was outside working in the yard and then having dinner. If I had seen it I would have been in for more.

I picked up a case in the last go around and I find it it to be an excellent sub-$10 bottle of wine. As I stressed above, like most solid tempranillos this needs a good amount of time to breathe. Given enough time it is fine and sturdy red, not nearly as intense as cabs and syrahs but a nice drinker that stands on its own or pairs up nicely with a nice variety.

I've also found that the bottles I've opened over the last couple of weeks have not needed nearly as much breathing time as the first bottles I've opened. Might be a situation of recovering from bottle shock.

Would be interested in hearing from Frank and Glitter on their observations of the other bottles they received.

bigfrank
05-08-2011, 11:02 AM
The Rachel Ray Oreial Montelchino was up Friday for maybe an hour. I put 6 in my cart but as I logged in they sold out. I was lucky to call them and get 6 emergency bottles from them that they keep in case of breakage. They seem to be having a lot more wines daily. You have to Check in a few times a day. About 2 weeks ago they had Silver Oak up at a steel but sold out in record time.

T. R. Oglodyte
05-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I used to have their Droid app enabled so that I was notified of each new offering. I turned it off to protect my wallet.

T. R. Oglodyte
05-14-2011, 03:44 PM
At $10/bottle this was an excellent buy. I'm glad I bought a case and I will be in for more if it reappears.

BTW and FWIW - almost all of the bottles I've opened so far have had wine diamonds.

T. R. Oglodyte
06-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Another one of those less than $10 dry spanish reds available right now at WTSO (http://wtso.com):

Bodega LuzDivina Amigo
Vina De Moya
Mencia 2006
90 Points RP!
originally priced at $21.99 and available now for only $9.99.
Ground shipping is free with your purchase of 4 bottle(s).

I've bought this twice before and enjoyed it greatly. If I weren't overflowing with tempranillos right now I would be buying more.

[added note]: and now WTSO has moved on to another offering.

T. R. Oglodyte
07-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Back again on WTSO right now. If it weren't for summer shipping I'd be in on this.

Vinedos de Villaester
Taurus
Toro
Tempranillo 2005

bigfrank
07-16-2011, 05:20 PM
I still have a few bottles left of the Taurus. I may get more if I run out next timme they sell it

T. R. Oglodyte
09-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Back again on WTSO right now. If it weren't for summer shipping I'd be in on this.

Vinedos de Villaester
Taurus
Toro
Tempranillo 2005

I still have a few bottles left of the Taurus. I may get more if I run out next timme they sell it

It's back again at WTSO right now. Since summer hot weather is almost over I got some more. Just to be safe as regards temps, I specified an October 11 shipping date.

This is a great less than $10 tempranillos. As with almost all of these old-world style tempranillos and tintos, plenty of decanting is greatly recommended.

vintner
09-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks, I picked up a half case.

T. R. Oglodyte
09-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks, I picked up a half case.

Hope you enjoy it!!

There's a good chance I will be passing through the northwestern suburbs in early December. Maybe we can uncork a bottle together then.

WTSO has moved on to another offering. For those who are interested and didn't come to this thread early enough to place an order, this is offering comes up about every three months (at least until they sell out their inventory). Similar offerings - some of which I've listed above - also recur regularly. Though this one is one my favorites, particularly given the price.

vintner
09-03-2011, 09:34 AM
You are on my list as a possible visitor for Dec. I am hoping it is not for Dec 3-10 as I will be in Hawaii at that time.

I have been reviewing the list of grapes available to me this year.
Prices have gone up, seems there is a smaller crop this year so the wineries are using my supplier's grapes.

By the time you come here, you should be able to try some very young Cab blend and a Zin and if I do it, a semi Rhone style wine.

T. R. Oglodyte
11-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Currently at WTSO:

Bodega LuzDivina Amigo Vinademoya Mencia 2006 - $9.99 with free shipping on four or more.
This is similar to the Taurus - great dry Spanish red for <$10, and has already had some time to age. As with the Taurus, be sure to give it some time in the decanter to open up.

If you're interested here's the Vinademoya at Cellar Tracker (https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=897742).

I've bought it twice before, so this is my third go-round on this one.

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner to do a heads up - probably won't be up for much longer at WTSO.

T. R. Oglodyte
11-03-2011, 12:21 AM
And it appears that WTSO has now moved on from the Vinademoya. It'll probably show up again sometime though.

T. R. Oglodyte
11-04-2011, 01:10 AM
We had a bottle of this tonight with "stuff on a tortilla", which is a family leftovers staple for us. It's fajita-ish - tonight was left over chicken breast, diced and stir-fry heated in a frying pan with onions and peppers, with a southwest seasoning mix, and some enchilada sauce. Other fixings included refries, lettuce, tomato, and cheese.

I opened a bottle of the Taurus and put it in the decanter about two hours before dinner. And what a great match. Blended so perfectly and smoothly - matched the food without competing and was just supple and smooth in the mouth, standing off against the spiciness of the food and with enough acidity to balance off against the stir-fried meat.

I hadn't had a bottle of the Taurus for awhile, and once again I was reminded of what a bargain this stuff is at $9.99.

bigfrank
11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I hadn't had a bottle of the Taurus for awhile, and once again I was reminded of what a bargain this stuff is at $9.99.

The last one I opened was very nice. Both me and my friend enjoyed it more from the 3 bottles we had that night we felt this was the best of the 3

bigfrank
11-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I think I just got a great deal. I just hope it is good. I got a mixed case of

You want 1

Truchard Vineyards Tempranillo Mixed - Random 12 Pack

You ordered 1 2002 Tempranillo.

You ordered 1 2003 Tempranillo.

You ordered 1 2004 Tempranillo .

which each cost

$69.99

for a subtotal of

$69.99

plus shipping

+ $5.00

for a total of

$74.99

T. R. Oglodyte
11-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I think I just got a great deal. I just hope it is good. I got a mixed case of Truchard Vineyards Tempranillo Mixed - Random 12 Pack
That is an OUTSTANDING deal - one of the best wine.woot offerings of all time. I posted about an almost identical offer several months ago - the only difference was that the offered vintages were 2003, 2004, and one of 2005 or 2006.

That previous offer was scheduled to run an entire weekend, but it sold out in less than eight hours. There was much lamentation from people on the East Coast who checked winewoot shortly after getting up on Saturday morning, only to find that the offer was already sold out.

bigfrank
11-21-2011, 02:20 AM
I think I just got a great deal. I just hope it is good. I got a mixed case of

You want 1

Truchard Vineyards Tempranillo Mixed - Random 12 Pack

You ordered 1 2002 Tempranillo.

You ordered 1 2003 Tempranillo.

You ordered 1 2004 Tempranillo .

which each cost

$69.99

for a subtotal of

$69.99

plus shipping

+ $5.00

for a total of

$74.99

That is an OUTSTANDING deal - one of the best wine.woot offerings of all time. I posted about an almost identical offer several months ago - the only difference was that the offered vintages were 2003, 2004, and one of 2005 or 2006.

That previous offer was scheduled to run an entire weekend, but it sold out in less than eight hours. There was much lamentation from people on the East Coast who checked winewoot shortly after getting up on Saturday morning, only to find that the offer was already sold out.

I got this on Friday, There was 6 2004, 3 2003, 3 2002. We opened up 2 of the 2004 today and the wine was good but both bottles had a ton of residue on the side of the bottle, What is funny is I haf the last of each bottle and there was no residue in my glass :confused:

T. R. Oglodyte
11-21-2011, 02:35 AM
I got this on Friday, There was 6 2004, 3 2003, 3 2002. We opened up 2 of the 2004 today and the wine was good but both bottles had a ton of residue on the side of the bottle, What is funny is I haf the last of each bottle and there was no residue in my glass :confused:
Most likely wine diamonds, Frank. Nothing at all wrong with that; in fact I find them more often than not in tempranillos that I enjoy. IIRC - every bottle of Truchard I bought in an earlier woot had them as well - some on the corks but a lot on the bottom of the bottle.

Not a problem at all that I can tell; in fact many people regard wine diamonds as a sign of quality in a wine.

wikipedia on tartaric acid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartaric_acid):
Tartaric acid may be most immediately recognizable to wine drinkers as the source of "wine diamonds", the small potassium bitartrate crystals that sometimes form spontaneously on the cork. These "tartrates" are harmless, despite sometimes being mistaken for broken glass, and are prevented in many wines through cold stabilization. The tartrates that remain on the inside of aging barrels were at one time a major industrial source of potassium bitartrate.

However, tartaric acid plays an important role chemically, lowering the pH of fermenting "must" to a level where many undesirable spoilage bacteria cannot live, and acting as a preservative after fermentation. In the mouth, tartaric acid provides some of the tartness in the wine, although citric and malic acids also play a role.

Tartaric Crystals in Wine: the "Wine Diamonds" of Quality (http://ezinearticles.com/?Tartaric-Crystals-in-Wine:-the-Wine-Diamonds-of-Quality&id=134844)

There is another interesting correlation between wine stones and the quality of a wine: the longer the grapes hang on the vine (familiarly called "hang time"), the more wine acid will accumulate in the grape, and it is this wine acid which is the building block of wine diamonds. Furthermore, the more time the wine is given to ferment, the less wine diamonds will fall out during fermentation, but the more they will instead build up later in the bottle.

In other words, wine diamonds are an indicator that the grapes ripened for a long time, and that the winemaker fermented the wine slowly and with great care. Both are important precursors to crafting high quality wines.

T. R. Oglodyte
12-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Back up at wtso.com right now.

Vinedos de Villaester Taurus Toro Tempranillo 2005

bigfrank
12-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Back up at wtso.com right now.

Vinedos de Villaester Taurus Toro Tempranillo 2005

I am in for 4 if it is still there

bigfrank
12-12-2011, 12:51 AM
I am in for 4 if it is still there

Changed my mind went for 6

Your Order is confirmed!

Your Order number is: XXXXXX

Your order has been successfully processed! Your products will ship in 2-4 business days unless a future date has been selected. *

You can see the order detail in your account history anytime.

Thanks for being a member of WTSO.com

* Shipping dates are subject to change at our discretion without notification.

T. R. Oglodyte
12-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Changed my mind went for 6

I bought a case. Briefly thought about doing 18 - at $8.99/bottle and free shipping it's hard to buy too much - but at the end I decided to dial it back to 12.

And I see they've now moved on to another offering.

LisaH
12-12-2011, 01:26 AM
I bought 4 bottles. Would have bought more but it will take me some effort to plan ahead and let it breath for 3-4 hours before drinking it :)

T. R. Oglodyte
01-10-2012, 09:04 PM
I did a delayed shipment on my order until I cleared some room after Christmas and New Years holidays. FedEx was good to me yesterday (1/2 case of SB arrived as well).

Started a bottle decanting about an hour ago. Poured a sip and was reminded of what I've been missing. Right now I'm wishing I had bought two cases.

Glitter Brunello
01-10-2012, 10:12 PM
I did a delayed shipment on my order until I cleared some room after Christmas and New Years holidays. FedEx was good to me yesterday (1/2 case of SB arrived as well).

Started a bottle decanting about an hour ago. Poured a sip and was reminded of what I've been missing. Right now I'm wishing I had bought two cases.

Well, I'm sorry I missed it, even if you did just admit to buying SB :p

bigfrank
01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I opened a bottle early last week more like last Fri/Sat, Had 1 glass and re corked the bottle. Opened it today more than a week had passed and it was as good as the day I opened it

Glitter Brunello
01-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I opened a bottle early last week more like last Fri/Sat, Had 1 glass and re corked the bottle. Opened it today more than a week had passed and it was as good as the day I opened it

Yeah, I still haven't figured out that magic VacuVin thing. Four to five days - that's awesome! Unless it needed that long to breathe :abused::p

T. R. Oglodyte
01-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Well, I'm sorry I missed it, even if you did just admit to buying SB :p
I used to have SB and PG on my list of wines to avoid, along with Chardonnay. Then in the last two years I've had opportunities to open bottles of each of those that convinced me that the problem was that I hadn't been opening the proper bottles of each. There's a lot of plonk and semi-plonk out there in those varietals. But when you find one that's well-made it's a real joy. In trying to relate my experiences to how people describe wines I've realized in the world of wine I'm rather clearly an "old world" person.

FWIW - the table turners for me on those varietals were PG by Facelli Winery in Woodinville, WA; SB by Morgan in Monterey, and an Argentinian chardonnay under the Simonassi label - non-oaked and no malo. I poured some of the Simonassi for a couple of absolute chardonnay haters who didn't know what they were getting They said it was a Chardonnay they could drink.

The other factor is that DW enjoys SB, so when I have a chance some SB that is decently priced and looks as if might be, shall we say, individualistic, I sometimes go for it.

Yeah, I still haven't figured out that magic VacuVin thing. Four to five days - that's awesome! Unless it needed that long to breathe :abused::p
Yeah - a nice old world tempranillo can easily stand being open for awhile - my experience is they actually seem to thrive on it. There's so much dense and complex structure that a good tempranillo (or Toro or Ribera - they're all very similar) demands some time to open up. Then after it's been open it keeps evolving as different elements come into play.

One of my big disappointments is buying what I think is a good deal on a decently aged tempranillo, only to find it's made in a new world style and has gone past it's peak (and that's why the price is so low).

Glitter Brunello
01-10-2012, 11:56 PM
I used to have SB and PG on my list of wines to avoid, along with Chardonnay. Then in the last two years I've had opportunities to open bottles of each of those that convinced me that the problem was that I hadn't been opening the proper bottles of each. There's a lot of plonk and semi-plonk out there in those varietals. But when you find one that's well-made it's a real joy. In trying to relate my experiences to how people describe wines I've realized in the world of wine I'm rather clearly an "old world" person.

FWIW - the table turners for me on those varietals were PG by Facelli Winery in Woodinville, WA; SB by Morgan in Monterey, and an Argentinian chardonnay under the Simonassi label - non-oaked and no malo. I poured some of the Simonassi for a couple of absolute chardonnay haters who didn't know what they were getting They said it was a Chardonnay they could drink.

The other factor is that DW enjoys SB, so when I have a chance some SB that is decently priced and looks as if might be, shall we say, individualistic, I sometimes go for it.

Yeah - a nice old world tempranillo can easily stand being open for awhile - my experience is they actually seem to thrive on it. There's so much dense and complex structure that a good tempranillo (or Toro or Ribera - they're all very similar) demands some time to open up. Then after it's been open it keeps evolving as different elements come into play.

One of my big disappointments is buying what I think is a good deal on a decently aged tempranillo, only to find it's made in a new world style and has gone past it's peak (and that's why the price is so low).

I've def got a lot to learn from you about Tempranillo. Generally, SB is too sweet for me. PG is not my favorite, but if faced with a poor italian white selection it's usually innocuous enough. Agreed there are exceptions to every rule - good friends of mine love what they call "a really good SB," but it's still too sweet for me. I'm a "good Chablis" kinda whitegirl.

T. R. Oglodyte
05-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Missed out on the Taurus Toro when it was up on Cheapskate Wednesday. I saw it there, clicked through to buy a case, but by the time I clicked the button to buy it was gone.

Getting to the end of buying season now anyway - temps are starting to get dicey for sending vino cross-country.

bigfrank
05-17-2012, 12:50 AM
I am just getting n line now. I missed the entire event which after seeing what I have I do not need more wine. I have enough out of the wine cellar to last me the rest of the summer

T. R. Oglodyte
05-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Missed out on the Taurus Toro when it was up on Cheapskate Wednesday. I saw it there, clicked through to buy a case, but by the time I clicked the button to buy it was gone.

Getting to the end of buying season now anyway - temps are starting to get dicey for sending vino cross-country.

I am just getting n line now. I missed the entire event which after seeing what I have I do not need more wine. I have enough out of the wine cellar to last me the rest of the summer

Looking at the Twitter feed for Cheapskate Wednesday, it appears the Taurus was up there for the full 15-minute period, which suggests to me that it didn't sell out. So maybe it will be come back again.

Coincidentally I opened one of our last remaining bottles on Monday. I Vin-Turied it into a decanter, and let it sit about an hour before dinner. We had about 2/3 of it Monday night and the rest sat in the decanted until Tues evening.

Tues I was reminded again of how great the wine is with some breathing. Nice pleasant, but with some great depth and complexity that didn't come out on day one. Stll had some distinct bite and just a touch of heat to go with the rest of the flavors. Most wines fall apart if you try to leave them overnight, but others, like the Taurus thrive.

Hope it comes back and I catch it before summer weather kills the shipping window.

bigfrank
05-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Looking at the Twitter feed for Cheapskate Wednesday, it appears the Taurus was up there for the full 15-minute period, which suggests to me that it didn't sell out. So maybe it will be come back again.

Coincidentally I opened one of our last remaining bottles on Monday. I Vin-Turied it into a decanter, and let it sit about an hour before dinner. We had about 2/3 of it Monday night and the rest sat in the decanted until Tues evening.

Tues I was reminded again of how great the wine is with some breathing. Nice pleasant, but with some great depth and complexity that didn't come out on day one. Stll had some distinct bite and just a touch of heat to go with the rest of the flavors. Most wines fall apart if you try to leave them overnight, but others, like the Taurus thrive.

Hope it comes back and I catch it before summer weather kills the shipping window.

I think I have 2 maybe 3 bottles left. I had planed on opening in at least 1 yesterday for my birthday but it did not happen, :nono:

LisaH
05-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Happy belated Birthday, Frank!

T. R. Oglodyte
05-17-2012, 11:49 PM
I think I have 2 maybe 3 bottles left. I had planed on opening in at least 1 yesterday for my birthday but it did not happen, :nono:
The stuff is deceptive. On the one hand you can easily say to yourself that you understand why it's selling for $10/bottle. Treat it right and you change your tune to how you can't believe it's selling for only $10/bottle.

The bottle I opened a couple of days ago reminded me of that.

Frank - I'll try to save a bottle for you for when you come out to visit in the fall.

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back