PDA

View Full Version : What are the best Maui resorts one can trade into via RCI?

4ARedOctober
05-25-2006, 12:31 PM
What are the best Maui resorts one can trade into via RCI?

....the reason I ask is that I found Maui to be about the hardest island in RCI to trade into and therefore we have not been to Maui yet. About a year ago we finally caught a bulk banking of the Kahana Falls for two consecutive weeks for the summer of 2007. We read the reviews and Kahana Falls seems to be ok....not ideal...but just fine to get us on the island.....and we are wondering where it falls (no pun intended) in terms of decent trades in RCI?

Thanks.

Jaybee
05-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi..I can't find my review, but several years ago...maybe 5? we had a 2 BR unit at Kahana Falls, and we were delighted with it. The unit was spacious, well decorated, and supplied, and comfortable. The spa had a sand bottom, which was an unusual experience for us,
I've read many unhappy reviews of that resort, and haven't been there lately, but we were very pleased. Jean

What are the best Maui resorts one can trade into via RCI?

....the reason I ask is that I found Maui to be about the hardest island in RCI to trade into and therefore we have not been to Maui yet. About a year ago we finally caught a bulk banking of the Kahana Falls for two consecutive weeks for the summer of 2007. We read the reviews and Kahana Falls seems to be ok....not ideal...but just fine to get us on the island.....and we are wondering where it falls (no pun intended) in terms of decent trades in RCI?

Thanks.

Bill4728
05-25-2006, 02:21 PM
The Embassy Vacation (Now call Ka'naapali Vacation resort) is in both II and RCI. It a very nice maui resort.

4ARedOctober
05-25-2006, 02:38 PM
I have always wanted to go there but it has been tough to get an exchange there even with a strong trader.....since they only really released whatever was available to those outside the system six months max prior to date of stay....and by then I usually have already made plans long before that time.

I wonder if the availability will change under the Sunterra name.

The Embassy Vacation (Now call Ka'naapali Vacation resort) is in both II and RCI. It a very nice maui resort.

taffy19
05-25-2006, 03:14 PM
The Westin has the nicest condos but I prefer the grounds of the MOC. I haven't been to the Embassy or the Whaler Inn. The beach and views are beautiful from all these resorts because they are on Kaanapali Beach.

My favorite area is still Wailea but there are no timeshare condos there. I love their beaches and rocky outcrops and reefs for snorkeling. It is less congested too.

We like the Maui Sunset (http://www.mauisunset.com/photos.htm) for us but it is not for you if you are looking for the most luxurious resorts on the Island. It is good enough for us as we love staying here. The condos have everything you want and a nice lanai or patio too plus it is on the ocean but it is not a nice beach for sunning or swimming. That is the biggest drawback.

You may consider it if you can't get the best.

Icc5
05-25-2006, 05:26 PM
We have stayed on Maui about 8 times and enjoyed everywhere we stayed including Kahana Falls. If I remember correctly the time we stayed there (about 8 or 9 years ago) we did a one bedroom. It's hard to remember because we've also been to Maui 3 times with the kids but I think it was just me and the wife that time.
The location was so so for us but the unit was fine and the staff was nice. I remember they had juice and pineapple by the pool most of the time.
My best answer would be yes we would go there again and stay at Kahana Falls (not hard to please but always trade gold crown for gold crown).
Bart:wink:

Carolinian
05-25-2006, 05:44 PM
You might also see what you can get in Maui with www.htse.net or www.tradingplaces.com or www.sfx-resorts.com

chemteach
05-25-2006, 06:31 PM
I also had a week with that bulk banking and posted on TUG to see if I should keep it or hold out for something better. Everyone on TUG said I was lucky just to get a 2 bedroom unit in Maui and to keep it. We'll be there June 29 - July 6, 2007 - will there be an overlap?

Edye

Anne1125
05-26-2006, 06:18 AM
Anyone done Maui Lea at Maui Hill? We're staying there over 4th of July week.

Anne

StressCadet
05-27-2006, 03:03 AM
Anyone done Maui Lea at Maui Hill? We're staying there over 4th of July week.

Anne

I own there-and will be staying there for the first time 6-11 to 6-18. It is across the street from beach and on the edge of Wailea. It's older but the units are larger than most. It doesn't fit in to the category of mega resort like the Westin or Marriott-but neither do we. We prefer smaller-less hustle and bustle. I expect the resort to be friendly and like visiting home. The Manager and employees have been there a long time-obviously there is a reason for that. I can follow up when I return.

4ARedOctober
05-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Looks like we may just miss each other at the resort.....will be at KF starting July 8th...but we may go early depending on flights and other units we may pick up.....we like to stay for three weeks when we can depending on employment issues......

I also had a week with that bulk banking and posted on TUG to see if I should keep it or hold out for something better. Everyone on TUG said I was lucky just to get a 2 bedroom unit in Maui and to keep it. We'll be there June 29 - July 6, 2007 - will there be an overlap?

Edye

aniwayne
05-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Has anyone been to the Maui Hill resort? It's part of our Trading Places exchange properties. Just wondering if it is nice:)

taffy19
05-30-2006, 11:13 PM
We have stayed here when it first opened as a timeshare resort but we had no view at all. The condos are very large and were nicely furnished. We went back to have a look again last year. The resort is all built up now but kept up very nicely. The grounds are immaculate. They are next to or part of MapQuest (ResortQuest) and formerly Aston Maui Hill. The only drawback for us is that it is not on the ocean and you are lucky to have a far away ocean view. You can take the steps down (shortcut) to the highway and cross it where there is a very nice public beach. Some nice restaurants are in walking distance too.

The resort is very close to Wailea with beautiful beaches and coves and McKenna Beach too. It is a lot less busy here traffic wise than at the Kaanapali beach area. Trendwest is not far from here either. They are in front of another nice public beach. There are three of them not far apart.

aniwayne
05-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Thank you, Iconnections, for the details! It really helps. We couldn't tell how Maui Hill was situated from the pictures in our Trading Places brochure. So, your description is very helpful!

taffy19
05-30-2006, 11:56 PM
If you don't mind walking down the steps, it is a nice shortcut but walking down the road takes longer. My husband says now that the public beach is a little bit to the right and there is also a little harbor there. It takes about five minutes walking down to the beach but going uphill is a little harder if you take stuff with you too. :)

We stayed at the first phase so the newer phases are higher up.

bigfrank
05-31-2006, 12:02 AM
in Maui I stayed at Kahana falls. it was OK but not even close to the best we visited. I like the resort that was across the street more.
IMO the top 3 are
Marriott Maui
Westin Maui
Embassy now Sunterra

Anne1125
05-31-2006, 07:01 AM
Emmy, I think you mean Resortquest (not Mapquest). They rent some of these units.

Anne

BocaBum99
05-31-2006, 07:06 AM
For Maui, I'd check out VRBO and rent a nice oceanfront unit directly from a whole condo owner. You don't get amenities like you do at a timeshare resort, but when in Maui, who needs timeshare amenities?

taffy19
05-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Emmy, I think you mean Resortquest (not Mapquest). They rent some of these units.

Anne
Yes, I meant Resortquest. :)

4ARedOctober
06-06-2006, 12:36 AM
How about Sands of Kahana....no one has mentioned that resort....is there much available for exchange there?

bigfrank
06-06-2006, 12:40 AM
How about Sands of Kahana....no one has mentioned that resort....is there much available for exchange there?

Look at post #16, I mentioned that I liked the resort across the street from Kahana falls which is the Sands of Kahana. I think it is a nice resort that is beach front but IMO the other 3 I mentioned were nicer. But if you do not like a crowed mega resort this may work.

Garrick
06-18-2006, 02:18 PM
I think the 2br at Kahana falls would be fine. We were there recently in a studio and it was about the size of a cruise ship cabin. I'd still rather be on Maui than the nicest unit in Orlando or Branson.

We tacked on 2 nights to the end of our trip at the Maui Prince in Makena

NICE!!!!!!!!! but as expensive as the whole prior week at KF

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back